Monday, October 05, 2009

I hear music

Just a quick note to march out an idea that keeps rolling around in my head.

Do y'all remember several months ago when I was asking folks how much of the time there was either music playing around them or music going through their mind? Does this ring a bell? I started taking that informal poll because it is 100% for me. Easily. And I had no idea that we're not all like that. It's just background radio for me. If I get up to use the bathroom overnight, there's a song in my head between the bed and the bathroom.

I've met a few other folks like that, so I know I'm not alone. But I've met others who say that maybe 25% of the time there's music. WOW.

I remember being a little boy, and just losing myself in the music on the radio, or maybe in the songs on the record player. At age 3 I could change the 45s on the turntable.

I remember sitting in the back of my mother's car, listening to music and wondering what I was hearing. What are those instruments? Are they playing this right now? Again? What do performers look like? For as long as I can remember I dissected the songs.

And now, when I'm in the car with my kids, they usually just talk over the music. I'm still singing along, still feeling the impact of lyrics, and they're talking away about whatever. It's so wholly different, and I don't get it. It frustrates me sometimes, I must admit. But my experience is not their experience. I figure somewhere within that difference lies a thesis, but not for me. At least not anytime soon.

No comments: