Thursday, April 29, 2010

Nude Dragons

I recommend that you Soundgarden fans roll this while reading. The band sounds good! I'm pretty excited about their return.



Rock rock rock!

***

Terrific day here. I worked all day on getting the counseling office at the church rearranged and decorated. Much of the day was spent moving furniture around. I'm kind of hardheaded (don't gasp) in that I pretty much feel that I can move furniture of any size unassisted.

Lo and behold, I was right.

So after the furniture was arranged more suitably, the lovely Renee joined me to decorate the place and make it more comfortable in general. Pillows, art, candles and tweaks to the setup really made an immeasurable difference in the appearance of that office. I must say that I'm quite pleased and excited about that office now. I still need at least one more lamp.

***

My work at Mindful Directions in Grapevine continues to go well. I run a social anxiety group there on Wednesday evenings. It looks like one or two individual clients are also about to materialize for me.

***

The plan, then, looks something like this:

I'll work some at Mindful Directions and some at the church. I've applied to be a Medicaid provider, and if I get that, I am hopeful that this will mean a steady source of referrals.

***

I should write about the whole Louisiana experience perhaps, though I must admit that it kind of gets stuck when I try to.

I think my favorite moment from the whole thing was my great aunt Beverly's rendition of "Amazing Grace" at the funeral. She sang the first verse in that beautiful voice of hers, and then announced, "Well, that's all I know. I hope that's good enough."

And she had a seat.

***

My second favorite moment, though, was probably at the car rental place. There'd been some sort of computer hiccup regarding my reservation, and it took forever for them to straighten it out.

I chose my car, put my suitcase in it, and climbed into Amanda and Eddie's car with them to call Shirley and straighten out our plans.

When we were done, I headed to my car only to find a big strappin' dude in sunglasses and his female companion putting bags in my car.

"Hey, my bag was in that car," I said.

"It don't matter," he said to me as he continued to load his bags.

With mixture of bemusement, astonishment, and a pinch of "what the French, toast?!?" I asked him, "Whoa... you're going to TAKE my CAR??"

That stopped him in his tracks. He explained that he thought I'd already returned the car, and that I'd mistakenly left my bag in it.

We got it straightened out and headed to Pontchatoula.

***

Our meal at Middendorf's was mighty good, I must say. I love those meals where you feel like they just dumped everything in the cast net into the Fry Daddy.

***

Did I mention that I'm pretty pumped about how the office looks?

***

Some songs I've been playing on my guitar lately:

"Me and Billy the Kid," by Joe Ely. Man, it's hard to strum that one correctly while singing it. I have to resist the urge to turn it into a polka.

"If You Were a Bluebird," also by Joe Ely. Gorgeous little song, and I figure I don't sing it any worse than Butch Hancock.

"Hey There Delilah," by the Plain White Ts. The kids asked me to learn this one tonight. It's easy, and they sing along. I've always liked this little song, though again, I have to resist the urge to make it a polka.

***

So can anyone tell me what guitar Kim Thayil is playing in that video? Looks like a Gibson SG, but I could swear the headstock reads "Guild."

***

I may sell my Jimmie Vaughan Strat soon. If you know anyone's who's interested give me a holler. It's got great action, and it has always intonated very well.

***

The kids and I had a terrific meal with Miss Renee tonight at Miguelito's in Hurst. Thank you, Renee!

***

I've been messing around with mole (the Mexican sauce) lately. I made some really good chicken mole a few days ago. Yesterday I made perhaps the world's first boca mole sandwich. I'm fond of those meatless "Boca" brand patties. It tasted pretty good.

"Boca" happens to be Spanish for "mouth," by the way, and that's exactly where I put my boca mole sandwich.

***

BB's current therapy: "technologic" by Daft Punk.

***

I should hit the sheets. G'night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh but you need to explain Beverly's reason that she's always doing well!


sis