Monday, June 18, 2007

Post-Father's Day Wrapup

Quick notes. I hoped. I should be in bed long about now.

In fact, in about 8 hours I'll be awake, hopping around in the living room like an idiot. No, I don't plan on stubbing my toe on the way to the toilet (though I won't rule it out).

I'll be working out. Yep.

I let it slip away, just a little. I put on about 10 pounds, and it all went to my gut. I've got to re-focus on working out. I did it before, and I can do it again. Whit's piqued my interest in gymless workouts, and I've messed around with them here and there. I'm glad to re-start this process at 10 pounds overweight instead of 25 like before.

I started this morning. The goal: 50 burpees, 8 sets of squats (duration: 20 seconds each, with 10 second breaks), 8 sets of pushups (ditto on the durations).

After the 50 burpees I was on my hands an knees, dripping sweat, gasping, face-first in the fan.

I knew I couldn't do it all.

So I went straight to the pushups. I got into the 7th set and could do no more. I went to kitchen, chugged a drink and then lay there on the floor for 20 minutes.

Tomorrow morning I'll get up and do it again.

***

Father's Day was good! We slept late--wow. It was after 10am when I looked at the clock. A miracle! Between the general laziness, the getting kids dressed, and the wait at the Cracker Barrel, we didn't get breakfast until after 1pm. Yep.

I scored the Allman Brothers' box set, Dreams. I know more of the songs than I realized. I still don't need a 22 minute version of "Whipping Post" (I'm not kidding--it's on there), but I've grown fond of their studio stuff over the years.

***

So, I have a love triangle with Liza Minelli and my wife and no one comments? No jokes, nothing? What, did you think I said, Gino Vanelli?

***

Okay, Gino Vanelli might have gotten some comments...

***

The mighty High Bias has closed up shop. Michael Toland's been a champion of good music for years and years and years. He was out there, proclaiming the good news to everyone who cared to read as far back as, what, the Music Notes days? Late 80s?

I've dabbled in it for years, but nothing, nothing like him. Shoot, when I wrote for Pop Culture Press I told the woman running it, "Really... you need this guy."

I'll miss the site. I'm torn. As a reader, I'm disappointed. As a friend, I'm glad to see a burden lifted from his shoulders.

***

This morning, at almost exactly the same spot from which I watched that wannabe burglar Friday, I saw a small hawk swoop down and attack mockingbird. There was a quick collision, and feathers were everywhere. The mockingbird didn't fare well. The other mockingbirds were swooping down at him. The hawk didn't give a damn.

***

Night night.

3 comments:

Geoff said...

At least watching the hawk gave you more practical tips than Harper Lee ever did.

Amanda said...

Due to our laziness, we ate doughnuts for lunch on Father's Day. The kids did not complain.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words, my man.

Michael