Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Weekend, the Guitars, the Perv, and the Look

It's been a pretty good weekend here I'd say. I was in a class for several hours yesterday, so MOBB took the kids to Corsicana to see the inlaws.

I did get out earlier than planned though, so I hit Miss Saigon Cafe in Hurst for a good bowl of pho before heading home for a nap.

And it was one of those screwy naps when you crash for longer than you expect (3 hours) and wake up with a jumbled sense of time.

It's good to be the BB.

***

The Les Paul is in the shop. Ah, don't panic. It's a little thing. I think the tone control for the neck pickup has died. It won't be an expensive fix, and I wanted to get a setup done anyway.

(A setup, in case you don't know, is when the intonation, neck adjustment, and string height, aka action, are, uh, set up.)

The guitar was one of the last three in the whole shop when I bought it after all, and I'm sure other prospective customers heard the muffled sound out of the bridge pickup. Really, it's probably a cheap fix.

The other guitar, the Guild, is doing just fine, as evidenced by my very sore fingertips. I've even started learning a new song: "Revelation" by Jason Falkner. Of course.

I got some tablature for Falkner's "Good Night Sweet Night," but it's all jacked up. It ain't right.

***

I had a weird encounter at Target tonight. I wanted to get a drink from their little Starbucks before my shopping.

I walked up and this big, tall fat guy was leaning way over the counter, sort of reaching towards the two baristas, a blonde and a black girl. They looked terrified, and for a sec I wondered if he was robbing them. He dropped something on the floor at their feet and turned around with a grin. They were still frozen there with their butts against the back counter.

"Is everthing okay?" I asked as the big weirdo turned and left.

The blonde said yeah, but that "he keeps bugging me." The black girl asked if he's a boyfriend, classmate, or someone she knows well. No no and no.

"I only know him a little."

So they picked up the thing he dropped, and it was one of those plastic hotel room keys. Yep.

I asked, "If he gives you a real problem here you WILL call security, right?"

Sure sure.

It pissed me off to see the big perv scare those two gals like that.

***

I teach a couple kids up at the KM school, just basic MMA stuff. One is my son, and one is a friend of his. Teaching useful tools to six-year-olds is like wrangling greased cats, okay, but perhaps they get something out of it occasionally.

And we always have a lesson for our brains, as well as our bodies. For the first couple of weeks it was "only use what I'm showing you to defend yourself, defend your family, or defend someone who cannot himself or herself."

***

THEBOY is funny in the little MMA class too. I build in plenty of play, and chances for them to blow off some steam.

And though it's a challenge sometimes to get them to focus, THEBOY can, he really can. He gets this look in his eye, tucks his chin, and makes it clear that he's going to show me that he CAN do this.

***

I'm rambling. Ya'll have a good week.

1 comment:

amcnew said...

You have a knack for being in the right place at the right time, BB.