Monday, June 04, 2007

What I Know

Here's what I know about Heaven:

They play non-stop boogie piano music.

There are no baseball umpires, except for Durwood Merrill.

I'll be able to sing.

I'll eat avacados every day.

RL Burnside is sitting down.

***

This weekend THEBOY asked where babies come from.

No, that's not exactly right. He just asked that since babies grow inside the mothers, what exactly is the father's part in this?

I wasn't around for it. I gather MOBB managed to stall him or distract him ("Look! A blimp!") or something.

I'm still wrestling with how to tell him this.

***

While cuddling with THEGIRL this weekend, she put her bare foot in my face and said, "Daddy, look at my toes!" Then she made that great toddler noise: "Blibble blibble blibble blibble..."

Busts me up just thinking about it.

***

I am in the very fortunate position of being able to afford a new guitar (thanks again, Dad...).

I've never had a really good one. I currently play some no-name Korean acoustic that I'll never get rid of due to its sheer sentimental value; I was playing it at a Larry's Music booth at the county fair when MOBB stopped by to chat once. This was before we even dated, and we just both remembered that I was playing THAT guitar while we chatted.

And I had an okay little Ovation Balladeer for a while, though I've become too much of a tone snob to go that route again. Not into plastic guitars.

In fact, Martin makes one (called an Eclipse or Ellipse or Emo or Emu or Elmo or something) that looks great, but I didn't care for the tone. Bright and loud, but the bottom end is rather lacking.

***

So the family and I went to a guitar shop yesterday. They had to kill time while I noodled on various instruments. Thus far I'm thinking Taylor's the way for me, but I'm shopping with my ears first, if you know what I mean.

I seriously considered a Martin D-15 but just wasn't THAT taken with the tone.

And while I shopped, MOBB deposited THEBOY in the percussion room. They lent him some sticks (the fools!) and he just went nuts, pounding on everything that couldn't get away. I'd go in and he'd be at a different drum kit every time: BOOM POW CRASH CRASH BAPPITY BAM BAM POW CRASH BAM!!

He had a blast!

***

I'll hit the shop down the street from the house in a little bit. I went to a store here in Ft. Worth over lunch, and that was a total waste of time.

***

We had a good time at the Ft. Worth Cats game Saturday night. They were playing the Shreveport Sports.

The DH was none other than Longhorn alumnus Kip Harkrider, who won a bronze medal as part of the USA's Olympic baseball team in '96. He played on some of the Horn teams I used to go see in the mid-90s when I had season tix.

***

I'm sorry these updates are getting more sporadic. It's looking like a busy semester. Hell, I haven't even worked out in a week.

No comments: