Monday, May 26, 2008

It Is

Friday night, and I'm online, ordering an "Obama 2008" yard sign, wondering whether our house will get egged first or toilet papered.

***

Saturday morning, and I'm being lazy in new and startling ways. I blow up at the kids and feel like a jerk.

***

Saturday night, and I'm leaving Humperdinks, having stood in the bar for an hour awaiting a seat. At least I get to see Tito fight before I bail.

***

Later Saturday night, and I am restless and hungry, having not eaten since about 2pm. I zip by a noodle joint, a sushi place, and another sports bar. Not a one can provide me both a meal AND a seat.

I go to Subway.

***

Early Sunday morning, and I write a blog post that's a bit obtuse, though it captures the mood.

***

Sunday afternoon, and the Java Junkies meet to solve the problems of the world.

***

Later Sunday afternoon, and I drop Wolfboy off at a friend's in Dallas for a sleepover. On the way back the freeway is stopped behind a bad wreck where I've just driven 15 minutes prior.

***

Early Sunday evening, and I watch a man at Jason's Deli get huffy over ordering his salad.

On the way home, some neighbors have taken roadblocks and partitioned off a section of street so their kids can ride bikes. I find it amusing; MOBB finds it annoying.

***

Sunday evening, and I'm trying to record a guitar part for the Tighty Whitey project. The Les Paul is loud, though I'm wearing ear protection. Still, I'm not playing well or creatively. THEGIRL bursts in at the end of one take to tell me it's loud. Yes hon, I know.

***

Later Sunday evening, and I'm sitting on a stool, milking some great wah wah tones out of my Strat. The signal level's too low, but after hours of wondering I've finally got a solid idea of what to do.

***

Sunday night, and THEGIRL asks to sleep in her absent brother's bed. Fine. I tuck her in, put on a random AM radio station, and head back to the project.

***

Early Monday morning, and I've gone a bit crazy, like I often do in the wee hours. After jiggering with the song over and over, I finally find some semblance of satisfaction with what I've got. It's short though.

***

Farther into Monday morning, and as I go into Wolfboy's room to sleep with THEGIRL, an Albert King song is playing on the radio. God is good.

***

Monday morning, after I've slept all of six hours. I have a lot on my mind. A long weekend is good, but I'm ready to get back into my routine. Ready.

***

Just after breakfast, which today is a protein shake. I have to mow the yard. Ya'll have a great Monday.

No comments: