Tuesday, July 22, 2008

As Long as We're Talking About Billy Preston...

A clip of Mr. Preston and his band doing his song, "Circles." This is one we all know, I imagine, but probably don't think much about. I've always liked it quite a lot. Now it makes me wonder if any of his other songs are real ringers like this one.


I find it surprising that the audience remained seated while his band played this tight little funk rave-up. And it's got a solo on some sort of hybrid wind/keyboard instrument/toy. Is that the thing called a "hooter" maybe? I'm serious. Does anyone know?

***



I took this photo today, I guess. It was by accident, because I was looking at my phone later and saw this image on there. I remember trying to read a text message in the bright sunlight as I left a lunch meeting, but I couldn't see the screen. I'm guessing I mashed some wrong buttons then and ended up with this ghostly image of me scowling in the phone's general direction.

***

I've watched a little of the Eddie Bravo half-guard DVD Whit so kindly sent to me. He's one talented, intelligent man. It just kills me to see him be a vocal proponent of marijuana usage though.

I'll never be on board with that.

I should probably unleash a whole tirade about it, but I'm tired and my brain is shutting down. Good night.

3 comments:

amcnew said...

I kind of like that photo.

Michael said...

It's called a melodica. The band the Hooters used to use them frequently, which is where they acquired the "hooter" nickname.

I'm betting the audience was instructed by the Midnight Special producers not to stand up. They certainly seemed to be enjoying it anyway.

Geoff said...

All those jj guys smoke, especially the Brazilians, they all smoke, they all surf, and they all snap limbs... I've never been entirely sure what the connection is...