Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Sweet Lord


This has been stuck in my head for hours.

I love the late Billy Preston's voice.

And it's great that he got to do this song. He'd played with the Beatles on some of their last recordings, when they were not getting along.

By their own admission, Preston would show up and they'd suddenly be on their best behavior.

It works that way sometimes.

***

I had a lot of time to myself this weekend, a lot of time wandering around in my own thoughts.

***

Bed beckons. Good night.

3 comments:

Michael said...

I believe Mr. Preston also played on the original recording of "My Sweet Lord."

He does a great "That's the Way God Planned It" in The Concert For Bangladesh. An underrated talent.

amcnew said...

Absolutely terrific! And OMG, the talent on that stage!! Which concert was this?

BB said...

This was the Concert for George (http://www.concertforgeorge.com/), a tribute to George Harrison done in 2002 I think. It was right after he passed. A bunch of his friends got together and did his songs. Ravi Shankar was there too, and his daughter, with whom Toland seems to have fallen in love.