Monday, July 07, 2008

Back from the Independence Day Road Trip

I'm sitting here in a pile of laundry, halfway watching the first of 12 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu DVDs whit lent me. I've had pudding. The kids and MOBB are in bed, and life is good.

***

The holiday weekend was a good one. I hustled the kids into the car nice and early, with promises of Pop Tarts for breakfast. It worked like a charm. They gave me very little trouble during the long drives. True, they ate far more gas station junk food than I would have liked, but it's not like those places have produce sections.

***

We had a fine Independence Day gathering there at Allyn's place on the San Bernard River. A squall had blown through, and was kind enough to cool things off just a bit before we got started. I saw folks I hadn't seen in years. That goes both ways; I got introduced as "Eddie" and even "Kevin" more than once. Fine, fine.

We fished, ate good food, and generally hung out. I brought out the guitar and inflicted a few songs on anyone within earshot.

***

At some point Wolfboy's sandal ended up in the river. Dang.

So we hit Academy for a new pair (though he tried in vain to lobby for buying just one. No, son, you see... )

He'd systematically eliminated almost every shoe in the building before we found a pair he liked.

On the way out I told the kids to grab some drinks from the cooler. Wolfboy got an orange Fanta. It was only when THEGIRL started making terrible faces and saying "BLECH! DADDY, IT'S BAD!!" that I realized she'd grabbed a grapefruit juice. Best laugh I'd had in a long time.

***

We watched fireworks with lots of Amanda's friends and family that night. The view was good. We had ice cream, and every kid in attendance went berserk.

***

We took it quite easy the next morning, watching Nickelodeon until noon.

***

After taking all the kids out for lunch, I left my two with my terrifically awesome sister and took off for Katy to watch some UFC with Whit and his crew.

And it was a fine time, hanging out with a roomful of martial artists who cheered and joked at the TV. Some fights were good, some were bad... I must say that Forrest Griffin surprised us all by beating Quentin "Rampage" Jackson. I kept thinking he'd have one of those "oh crap I'm fighting RAMPAGE" realizations, but he fought a fine fight and won the decision.

***

I slept pretty well. After a good breakfast, I bought a coffee so large that the barista must have thought I said "barge," because mine was big enough to have one in it.

I fetched the kids, and we hit the road.

***

It was not a great drive back. Traffic north of Houston was pretty backed up. Wolfboy stayed focused on his video game, and THEGIRL, well, I don't know what she did, but she was quiet doing it.

We got in at about 8pm. Thank you to everyone who hosted me, took care of my kids, and didn't jump in the river when I sang. Hope to see you all again soon.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Thank you for taking my kids to lunch. I think that was my first (solo) recreational trip to Target all summer!

amcnew said...

Sounds like you had a great time. It must be terrific to have a family like that. I'll pump you for details at the office.

Unknown said...

Where were you guys at for the fireworks? Our group was in the Lake Jackson Target parking lot.

Bruiser

BB said...

Oh. Then we weren't awfully far from you, Bruiser. We were out at Lake Jackson Farms... somewhere. Amanda navigated.