Thursday, October 16, 2008

Welcome to KAKL Radio...

A little video featurette for you. I did some asking among my spouse and sister regarding what music of mine they dislike the most. Here's a brief rundown:

Smashing Pumpkins, "Drown"

Nothing clears the room like an extended feedback solo. I think it's gorgeous. The video's not much to speak of, but I put it here in order to include a version with the feedback.

***

Bad Brains, "Soulcraft"

I'm including it because it's the first time I heard or saw the Brains. I'd be quick argue that there are tons more songs that really capture what the band was about, but Quickness IS a very good album. This video, complete with dreadlocked brothers in flannel barking out some stuff that sounded nothing like the hair metal of the day (this was 1986, after all), blew my mind.

***

Drivin' 'n' Cryin', "Fly Me Courageous"

I guess technically speaking, Kevn Kinney can't sing a lick. Still, these guys forged their own brand of hillbilly rock that I used to really love.

***

Helmet, "Unsung"

No polish. Angular metal. I spent years loving these guys. I'm burnt out on them now. I'm fascinated by the fact that their singer (aka my man crush) Page Hamilton has a master's in jazz guitar. You read right, children.

***

The Firm, "Satisfaction Guaranteed"

I loved the Firm. Seriously. They were my first concert. Oh, "Radioactive" wasn't exactly "No Quarter," okay, but I thought they did a lot of good stuff. I include this video because, well, it's pretty dumb. But that's Les Paul tending bar, and that's kinda cool.

***

Howlin' Wolf, "Smokestack Lightnin'"

This old girlfriend of mine was angry at me once (please, try to contain your surprise). And in the middle of telling me everything she was angry about, she said, "And Howlin' Wolf SUCKS!" I laughed. No, Howlin' Wolf doesn't suck. I wasn't even hurt. She was just plain wrong; that's what I thought.

***

Rush, "Subdivisions"

Hey, I'm with y'all on this one. I had a little high school "band" that played this one about a trillion times, and I grew to hate it.

***

Eric Johnson, "Cliffs of Dover"

This was once a guitar tour de force. Honestly, though, it was just overplayed to the point that it's just another wheedily wheedily guitar song in my mind. I did at least include a clip from Austin City Limits that many people, including possibly Johnson himself, consider to be the definitive version.

[Ignore the source, Toland... I know it's your job to chase down unauthorized ACL clips on Youtube...]

***

That's all for now, folks. Thank you for stopping by to check out my worstest hits.

***

I will TRY to update again before I leave for Mexico on Saturday. If I don't get to, y'all have a great week and I'll be back soon.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I am just laughing about this, remembering the conversation we all had that has turned into the blog post.