Friday, December 26, 2008

The Morning After

This cold is a real pain in the nalgas. I SHOULD be asleep, but no, the tickle in my throat woke me up at about 6:45.

***

Christmas was good. THEGIRL got her kitchen set, and Wolfboy got his Gamecube. He played one (1) game for about 10 hours straight. I'm not kidding.

I received some nice gifts. I watched the Iron Man DVD last night, and that's appropriate since Wolfboy and I received matching "arc reactor" t-shirts yesterday. I was like a little kid, wanting to wear it, but he was into this new baseball shirt of his and said no. Maybe today.

I also got some fine Kona coffee from my aunt, some great music from Toland (do get yourself some Guy Clark, folks), and of course, my new Krav Maga pants.

***



Guy Clark and Emmylou Harris doing "I Don't Love You Much Do I?" with Los Lobos.

***

We went to the Baums' place for dinner, and ate like royalty.

***

Today I need to go to Fort Worth for a bit. I'm going to stop into Barnes and Noble, as I have a gift card, and I read that they're having a big sale.

***

I'm cleaning out the study, trying to make it more useful and create more space.

***

Mark Teixeira signed with the Yankees. I was thinking about the Yankees yesterday. Bruiser hates the Cubs like I hate the Yankees. I don't get it. I mean, have they played spoiler for the Astros a few too many times? They are wholly different organizations.

From the Newberg Report:

Peter Gammons points out that the Yankees now “have the highest-paid first baseman, the highest-paid third baseman, the highest-paid shortstop, the highest-paid catcher, the highest-paid starting pitcher and the highest-paid reliever in the history of the game.” The praise they’ll get for being World Series champions should pale in intensity to the embarrassment of being anything else.

Exactly. Whatever free agent they want, they can pretty much get, because they'll throw (almost literally) the biggest pile of money at him. Heck, they even got Randy Johnson, who had so famously mowed down the Bombers in the '01 World Series.

Curt Schilling, however, declined.

***

And some schmo just rang my @#$% doorbell at 8:21am the day after Christmas, wanting to clean up our leaves.

Uh, no.

***

Time to wrap it up. Coming soon: Quite Possibly the Cutest Post in the History of the Universe.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Yep, and the Big Unit did jack-all for them, just like Tex will while they miss the playoffs again this year...

The thing that people don't get about being a Yankees fan is that legacy is a lot to live with, and it keeps you from enjoying any success other than winning the Series...

Think about Johnson, he's the best player is Diamondbacks history, right? He wouldn't rank in the top 10 in Yankees history, even if he'd played his entire career there. Every single player makes you think 'well, he's not the babe, well he's no DiMaggio, well he's not Lou Gehrig, well he's not Mickey Mantle...'

Kind of like complaining about being too rich or too famous, but it still sucks.