Sunday, May 22, 2005

JUNIOR Junior College

Lots going on, so much of the time...

I scurried off to the TX Wesleyan campus today for orientation, advisement and registration.

They didn't notice that they had a grad student in their midst, though, and didn't have a grad advisor for me. So... I had to improvise a bit on my summer schedule.

Looks like I'll take one online class at TxWes this summer and one at Dallas County Community College (aka JUNIOR junior college). I paid for the TxWes class today... ugh. Sticker shock galore.

And I forgot to buy a lottery ticket tonight.

***

Still not feeling well, but I'm sleeping a bit better. And thank God the kids let me take a big nap this afternoon. THEGIRL crashed hard herself, and THEBOY apparently entertained himself in his room rather quietly. Fine with me.

***

Despite the fact that I feel like I've got asthma right now, I'm slowly getting some things done.

The fluorescent light in the garage died. Two bulbs burned out, and someone here left it on, thus burning out a ballast. I dug into it tonight to take the bum part out, and it was just more than I wanted to get into. Hmm... $20-$25 for a new ballast or...

$30 for a new fixture, a round industrial-looking job that I'll put two compact fluorescent bulbs in. Those regular fluorescents in the old fixture burned out too much anyway. I should have about the equivalent lumens of about 200W out there, but I can't really imagine it'll light up the garage like the old one did. Still... we're not going to stay here forever, and heck, I use a shop light on any project I do in the garage anyway.

Plus, this new rig won't go through bulbs as fast, and there'll be no ballasts to get fried.

***

Got a new faucet mostly installed in the front bathroom too. But I've got the wrong supply hoses, and I hit the stores for replacements too late this evening.

***

The Rangers whomped the Astros 18-3 this afternoon. I feel bad for the Astros, I really do.

And THEBOY and I watched the exciting end of a UT/A&M baseball game this evening. UT won 2-1, though it came down to the final play. I got to introduce THEBOY to the concept of the orange team being the good guys and the maroon team being the bad guys.

Kelli seemed to have a different opinion though...

***

We're starting to throw ideas around for building a house in Corsicana. Some of them are pretty lofty and some of them are quite practical. It's an interesting little balance we've got to strike here. This house will share land with an historical home in Corsicana, so we can't have just any piece of junk erected there. I'm sure there will be design considerations.

We also intend to stay in this place a very long time. Perhaps forever. It's going to be quite a challenge to come up with a design we think will fit that bill.

And we have to do it on a modest budget.

It's exciting nevertheless.

***

Off to flip channels a bit before bedtime. Hope you all sleep well, have a good Sunday, all that.

No comments: