Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A Little Sweet and a Lotta Sour

This morning I heard THEGIRL in her crib, singing wordlessly to start the day.

I remember thinking, This is beauty.

***

Someone stole Toland’s pants from the laundry room last night. I’d probably make a bad joke, but he’s hopping mad about it. Can’t say I blame him. Now he’s gotta wear the mumu to work today.

Dang… the joke slipped out anyway…

Seriously, though… sucks to have stuff stolen. Since Kelli’s car was broken into, I don’t know how many times I’ve reached for a CD only to realize it ended up in a pawn shop somewhere so a crackhead could get a hit.

***

I saw a kid with a hooker last night, at Albertson’s no less.

I’d zipped in late to get some waffle syrup (hey, a man’s gotta have his breakfast covered).

She’d walked by the end of the aisle a couple times, and she was dressed for attention. Skirt so short it would embarrass Mini-Me, tight top, and a blonde wig. Hair just obscured the face, but it was clear that she flaunted every aspect of her body.

I ended up checking out one lane over from them. She turned my way, and her face was hideous. Looked like Estelle Winwood with a few missing teeth. I’d say she was 60, but until you saw the face you’d guess 40 years younger.

They went out to the young man’s car, a Nissan hot rod of some sort. She bent over for something and I saw nothing but BUTT hanging out the back of that skirt. I think my retinas are still burning.

So the kid, who was 21-ish, was he a… client? Relative? Weird.

***

And leaving there, I saw a man on a riding mower trimming the grass in the Target parking lot, guiding his efforts with the mower’s headlights. You forget they have those headlights until you see them used.

But why in the world was he mowing at 11pm?

***

Darren Oliver retired last week.

Then he un-retired when the Cubs offered him a minor-league deal.

***

And Tony Pena has suddenly resigned as Royals manager. I grew to like Pena as a guy. I’d heard he was a lousy manager, but he was a character. In spring training he came out to catch as he pitchers warmed up between innings. Something really cool about that.

***

Another Belo staple is leaving, being shown the door today due to the no-compete clause. That’s three in three weeks by my count.

***

Happy Wednesday.

No comments: