Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Yo No Soy Chismoso. Soy el "Leader"

I was reading Avengers #2 to THEBOY the other night. The bad guy was the Leader, a green guy with a 19-inch cranium who has some strange fixation on the Hulk.
 
THEBOY has figured out that I can do a few voices, so as we read it he kept instructing me to change the voices. Sometimes he'd give me instructions.
 
First, for the Leader, he told me to "make him sound like a Mexican."
 
Wow. I had no idea this was a distinction THEBOY was familiar with. So I went into a bad Cheech Marin, which probably wasn't a PC thing to do, but it was funny.
 
Then he told me to "make him sound like a guy with a mustache who drinks tea."
 
I had no idea what that meant, but I just put together something really drawn out and nasally, and he laughed like mad.
 
My voice coach always did say I took direction well.
 
***
 
I have had, I believe, six Spanish classes in my life (two in high school, four in college). I have been to Mexico and Spain, and I believe the ability to speak to one's neighbors is essential. I've practiced on my own for years, thrown myself into a few "sink or swim" situations... I do okay.
 
Sometimes, though, I have to explain work-related things that are a bit complex.
 
I was on the phone with the client today, in fact, when I realized I wasn't sure how to say "counselor." Turns out I got it right ("consejero").
 
But afterwards I ran it past a native speaker, who told me that was fine, or that I could go with "chismoso."
 
Earnestly I told her I wasn't familiar with the word, but thanks for the info.
 
And she laughed and realized I needed it for work, then admitted she'd been messing with me; chismoso, see, is Spanish for someone who is a gossip.
 
Yes, I could have advised a client that he'd soon get a chance to speak to one of our well-trained staff gossips.
 
***
 
Message to MOBB: "Syyyyyyyyrinx!"
 
***
 
Valentine's Day is here, and we've got big fistfuls of nothing planned. Yep. We exchanged cards, but otherwise this looks to be a pretty straightforward day. Maybe we'll get to celebrate a bit this weekend.
 
***
 
And now Llorca's over here giving me grief about the movie Y Tu Mama Tambien.
 
Do NOT see it. Really. You will feel ripped off, and you'll want to take a shower.
 
***
 
Syyyyyyyyyyyyrinx!
 
***
 
Pitchers and catchers report Friday. Life is good. Not sure I'll have another epic poem about baseball in me this year.
 
Someone should write an epic poem about the marriage of salsa and cheese though. I'm not kidding.
 
***
 
Ya'll have a good day. Go kiss someone.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks for the advice. I have kissed the entire family, including the dog.

Anonymous said...

I liked Y Tu Mama Tambien. It didn't live up to the hype, but what does?

The Leader was created by the same gamma radiation as the Hulk, but it gave him high intelligence instead of incredible strength. Thus he's always pitched against the Hulk because of the whole "gamma irradiated brain vs. gamma irradiated brawn" thing.

A guy with a mustache who drinks tea?

Michael