Saturday, August 09, 2008

Pho Tai Briscoe

Okay, this is for Whit, and anyone else with some interest in making Pho Tai, a Vietnamese beef and noodle soup. If you've spent any time poking around this site you know that it's a favorite of mine.

Ingredients:

1 gallon water
Pho soup base (more details later)
1/2 pound of thinly sliced beef
1 package of rice noodles
Basil
Lime
Bean sprouts
Cilantro
Mint
White onion, sliced
Green onion, chopped
Vinegar

[This is to make a couple adult-sized bowls of pho. I didn't really measure the herbs. I just cleaned and prepped about a fistful of each.]

1. Soak the rice noodles in cold water for an hour

2. Soak the white onion slices in vinegar for an hour

3. Make the soup base. We like this kind:

It's got spice bags and some paste inside. Bring the water to a boil and drop in one spice bag and about half the tub of paste. Leave the spice bag in the boiling water for about 15 minutes.

4. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Drain the noodles, and put them in the boiling water for 10 minutes. After that, drain them and put them in some cold water. Seriously. We even used ice.

5. Put your ingredients in a bowl. It varies from person to person depending upon preference, of course. I put the noodles, beef, bean sprouts, both types of onions, cilantro, basil, and a squirt of lime juice. I also add some hoisin sauce and some Sriracha sauce. Some people add sliced jalapenos. Keep in mind that in Pho Tai, the hot broth cooks the raw meat, so keep that broth at or near a boil until you add it.

The results:

It tastes just as good as the stuff you get in a restaurant, and it's fairly cheap to make.

Some notes:

This recipe makes much more broth than necessary. We're going to just freeze what's left over.

I personally don't care about soaking the white onions in the vinegar. That's MOBB's preference.

I've seen bean sprouts called Mung Beans, FYI.

We used mystery meat. What can I say? It was at the Michoacana meat market, and it was reasonably priced and already sliced.

If you try it, let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I tried to make pho, but could not find the ingredients locally. One was fish sauce.

If you brought some pho base and rice noodles down on your next visit, I would happily pay you back!

It looks delicious!

amcnew said...

Pho is tasty, and it looks easy to make. Too bad eating it is so much work! I end up with more of it on my clothes than in my stomache.

SifuWhit said...

I tried my hand at making pho last night, and was quite pleased with the results. I had to wing it a bit with the ingredients, but ended up with a decent bowl of soup. Thanks for inspiring me to give it a try!