Thursday, August 28, 2008

Treading Water

Talked to Dad tonight. He let me in on some of his philosophy.

He explained that one doesn't need to be the most physically fit guy at 40 or 45. No, you just need to "tread water, because if you do that, everyone else around you will start to go to shit, and you end up looking good by comparison."

Pearls of wisdom from the Doug.

***

Otis Redding died on December 10, 1967, which is roughly nine months before my birthdate of August 29, 1968. I am reminded of the date of his death because I've been watching Dreams to Remember: The Legacy of Otis Redding, a gift from my buddy from way back, Janice. It's a terrific DVD, featuring 16 songs. Unlike the standard documentary, this one is song-focused, with commentary from musicians and other folks.

Otis is shown lip-synching and performing live, and it's all golden stuff. The live "Try a Little Tenderness" was recorded the day before he died.

So though the math doesn't quite hold up since I was born late, I've decided that I must have been conceived the day Otis died. Just because I like the sound of it.

***

My coworker Denija was also very kind and generous, giving me a goody bag full of stuff today. There's a little lava lamp, some fine Bosnia chocolate (you've gotta try this stuff!), a card that plays "Hamster Dance," and a DVD of Heartworn Highways. It's got great old footage of folks like Townes Van Zandt, David Allan Coe, Rodney Crowell, Guy Clark, and Steve Earle. I watched it this evening, but Wolfboy was chatting non-stop to me about Pokemon, so I need to watch it again just to pick up what I missed.

***

My department went on a retreat for the first three days of this week. We had some trainings, some fun group activities, some music, and some good food. I took my guitar and had fun playing with the praise band. I hadn't played with anyone in quite some time.

I was a bystander at the paintball game the first night and still got shot in the chest. It hurt! I think it was friendly fire. "Now's my chance to show that Brisc what I think of him..."

***

I showed a coworker how to play a basic blues riff, and how to play a polka riff with a simple I-IV "bass" line under the chords.

He showed me a couple groovy new chords.

My work here is done.


***

Dad sent me some birthday cash. I'd use it to get another new pocket knife, but you know, I always lose them. Breaks my heart.

Of course, it may be the poltergeist in the house. I'm only halfway joking. We're losing silverware at an alarming clip. It just... vanishes. It's only one type: the small forks. We used to have maybe a dozen. Now we have one.

Kelli's charm bracelet is gone, and my little multi-tool too. Yeah, seems like small, shiny things disappear around here.

***

Tomorrow is also the third anniversary of Katrina's landfall in Louisiana. I guess it's not the same as having a birthday on September 11, but I certainly think of that tragedy every time my birthday rolls around now.

***

I'd better give it up and get some sleep soon. Here's wishing you caffeinated love tomorrow and the whole holiday weekend.

No comments: