Monday, September 22, 2008

Mourning

It's a concept that's been on my mind a bit today. I only looked on Wikipedia, but it seems like it's specifically meant to refer to how people react to the death of people.

And yes, that's been a theme here lately, but it's more than that to me. I just can't help but feel that sometimes I mourn things that never were, as well as things that were.

I mourn our lowest common denominator culture. We have such great potential, and we should really be abhorred at what we mostly are.

I mourn the unrealized potential in the arts. God there's a lot of genuine garbage that pays the bills in the entertainment industry.

I mourn the children I didn't have.

I mourn the choices I didn't make.

I mourn the passing of the years.

I mourn the pieces of my heart.

I mourn the loss of innocence.

***

This is a half-realized idea. I'm tired. I'm not depressed, but I'm too worn out to give this much more thought.

Peace.

2 comments:

amcnew said...

When my brother, to whom I was not close, passed away, I learned that sometimes the most painful loss is the loss of what never was.

BB said...

I understand. I've experienced that very type of mourning.

About 20 years ago I had an episode I struggle to describe even today. Basically, I was alone in the record store, listening to John Lennon's song "Mother" ("Mother... you had me... I never had you...") and just... quit. I just hit the reset button on my life. No plans, nowhere to go. Hard to explain.

So I'd like to think I understand what you're talking about.