Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Smattering

I'm told it's ragweed that's making my sinuses behave so badly these days. I sneeze, my eyes water, and I snort. Many nights I resort to taking benadryl, but even as benign as that is, I'd rather not take it.

Tonight, dang it, I will go to bed without it.

***

Just a smattering of stuff here, a little bit of this and that...

***

I'm listening to an iPod loaded, mostly, with songs from ...and Back to Earth Again: Ten Years of Meteor City, a terrific birthday gift from the mighty Michael Toland (who also wrote a big chunk of this box set's liner notes).

***

I've sought a particular clarity for the last couple days, and it finally came tonight, like some gift from above.

And though it hit me after having a fine talk and a cup of coffee with Henley, it's definitely the culmination of all the input I've received from my friends over the last couple days. I'm blessed to have people who listen and talk so well. I've been seriously mulling a big change in my life, and everyone I've talked to about it has given me terrific, well-considered input. Thank you all.

***

Today, my job was interesting.

This morning, I helped a Spanish-speaking client seek benefits.

This afternoon, I told a belligerent European client that he was scaring everyone around, and that he had to leave the building. Lo and behold, he did.

Later this afternoon, I helped two Asian clients apply for benefits.

One shift, three languages, not including English. Cool.

***

Ah... choo! I give up. My head is oozing. Bring on the benadryl.

***

One other thing about New Orleans: As our plane took off and I turned on my iPod, the first song I heard was "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns" by Mother Love Bone.

Naturally, the first lyric was, "Chloe does the the tables/in the French Quarter."

Hear it here:


I'm no expert on the band, but it's well known that they band was poised to get big when frontman Andrew Wood died of a drug overdose. His friends in the Seattle music community were rattled. I know that some of them claimed they didn't know he had a drug problem.

I have too many junkie heroes.

***

Just had a Reese's Fast Break candy bar. I'm livin' large.

***

Whit heads to Indiana tomorrow to be with his parents during a very important time. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers if you will.

***

Good night.

No comments: