Wednesday, September 17, 2008

An update from...


My sister and her kids left here after at week at la casa de BB.

And that image above is a joke. Yeah, seven folks in this house was a bit crowded, and nerves were frayed here and there, but honestly, I kind of enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I had the benefit of going to work so many days while Kelli and Amanda were home with the kids.

***

I worked an agency event Thursday evening that found us in the belly of a big hotel in downtown Ft. Worth. The event went well. I hadn't been in a hotel kitchen since I was an AV tech in Austin in '94.

(Horrible job. I lasted five days. Just imagine being a roadie in a suit. With no schedule. For piddly pay.)

And look at that shot... seriously, have I ever had a good hair day in my life?

***

Leaving the event reminded me of when I was a roadie for the country band in the '80s. I'd leave some gig at two or three in the morning and drive home. Few other cars would be on the road, and it would be just me with my thoughts (and my ringing ears).

***


We had some fun for sure. We took the kids to Incredible Pizza on Friday night. It wore us all out, but the food was good, and the kids loved it.

***


Back at la casa, life went on.

The girls doubled up in THEGIRL's room, the boys in Wolfboy's room, and Sis in the study.

And we fell into a fine routine, with all of us pitching in on chores and minding the kids.

***

Sis went home to no electricity, iffy sewer, and limited water. I hope she has her utilities soon. They are welcome back anytime. I think her kids should come spend some time with us next summer.

***
***

I'll get back into the blogging routine again soon enough.

Anybody want to go to this with me?



***

[Edit: I want you to hear this. Remember how a couple weeks ago I was raving about Jeff Beck? Read this quote from Guitar Player magazine about his song "Where Were You?" Many of you probably know that this is one of my favorite songs]

This, in spite of my lifelong devotion to Hendrix, might just be the greatest recorded piece of guitar in the world. Ever. Beck has no match. All through his life, he has made our jaws drop. I think we guitarists regard Jeff in the way Mozart's contemporaries regarded him. We do not understand where this magic comes from. What Jeff is doing here is colossal, but that wonderful sound--borne of the particular way he plays harmonics, and what is in his fingers as he plucks a string--makes it utterly beautiful. This track inspired me to make what I resolved would be the last U-turn I would ever make, during a period of deep crisis in my life. It led me to a rebirth of my spirit, and it's the closest thing I have heard to a divine revelation. Brian May, Queen

2 comments:

amcnew said...

No one, but no one, looks good in that color.

Amanda said...

Commenting from Tiff's computer, because she has a generator.

Still no power, and they say it may be Monday. But I have an ice chest full of food, propane for the gas grill, and so far the toilet is flushing. So life is good. The school district is considering sending kids to alternate campuses starting Tuesday if we are still without power. I am sure that will be a nightmare as far as managing the boy's anxiety. I am still hopeful that it won't come to that.