Wednesday, November 12, 2008

BB and the Bag


BB's current therapy: "Breakfast in Bed" by Dusty Springfield.

***

I'm working out again. I've done it here and there, starting and stopping. I keep walking past the bag in the garage, and I've finally decided to spend some quality time with it. I do five rounds, three minutes each.

***

Round 1: Mixed stuff. Punch combinations, kicks from different angles. Funny how on any given night a different strike seems to be working better than others. Sunday night it was this nasty upward rib kick they teach in Krav Maga. Tonight my punches felt good and strong.

***

Do you feel attractive? Alluring? Desirable? On any given day, does someone special in your life give you any indication that you are in some way special in their eyes?

***

I'm headed to Austin this weekend for a solution-focused brief therapy conference. I'm too poor to pay the hefty registration, so I volunteered to work it instead. All I really have to do is hand out some papers, stamp some CEUs, and I can attend whatever I want. Very cool.

***

Round 2: Mostly kicks. I nail that bag too. I work on turning my hips over like I should, hitting with the shin. I also work a bit on kicks from the side and kicks from the rear (with advance). I have started throwing in some kicks to the head. KM doesn't teach that one, as it's a high-investment maneuver that doesn't often pay off.

***

The Startlegram reports that a local pastor is urging the married folks to have sex every day for a week, starting Sunday.

I gather the full sermon will be posted at some point.

***

Round three. For a minute, I do mixed combos. I like this cross/jab/kick combo. Needs work to make it smooth, but it'll come. Then for the last two minutes I do non-stop jab/cross combos. It's a bear!

***

I need to get back to Krav. It's the place I've felt most comfortable. Yeah, I had some issues with the place, but honestly, I just keep looking for a place just like it when I visit new schools. That, or a place like JMMA.

But Krav Maga Bedford was always good to me. When I was broke, they worked with me. When my son was the only kid who enrolled in the children's program, he basically got a couple months of private lessons for ridiculously cheap. And when his buddy tagged along, they let me teach them. Heck, I had a key to the school for over a year. I never should have given it back!

***

Round 4: Kicks. What else? My arms are pretty useless by that point. David at the KM school always had the most mechanically sound kicks. He'd pivot so well, and WHAM! I always picture that when I kick. I have my moments, but I can't do it like him.

***

I dreamed I was working the SFBT conference, in fact. It was going well, though lunch time came, and they gave me a big jar full of chopped and ground octopus parts to eat.

As a courtesy, I tried one. Wasn't bad! Tasted like ground beef. Still... they looked gross.

***

Speaking of KM, go over to Larry Escher's blog and congratulate him on being one of the very few IKMF-certified civilian instructors in the country.

***

Round 5: Other stuff. Knees (which aren't easy to do on my hanging bag), elbows, and a little bit of shadow boxing to work in some defensive stuff. At that point I've done abs between all the rounds, and I'm spent.

***

Note to self: Nachos do not make good workout fuel.

***

If I don't update again before the conference, ya'll take care, and have a good weekend.

No comments: