Thursday, November 13, 2008

I want this to rock like thunder!

Some dumb quotes from Guitar Player magazine.

From a spread on Billy Gibbons' (ZZ Top) guitar rig:

During ZZ Top's 1996 Rhythmeen tour, Billy Gibbons slung a herd of custom "Knife Primativo" guitars built by John Bolin and plugged into the "Lap Dog" (a gutted Alamo amp connect to six Bixonic Expandoras, lower left).

Okay, just the sheer amount of Gibbons-created jibberish kinda busts me up there. Maybe you don't find it as funny as I do.

***

Nick Perri from Shinedown, about guitarist Nick Maybury of Mink:

"We toured together when I was with Perry (Farrell), and he would make me sick to my stomach each night because he is that good."

***

"I'm into textures, dissonance, and anything that's hurtful to the ear." Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of the Mars Volta

***

"I never practice in the traditional sense. When I pick up the guitar, I always want to perform." Yngwie Malmsteen (of course)

***

They reviewed the "new" Fender Champion 600 (it's a reissue), and after saying that the speaker "succumbed to a papery rasp" and that the "(s)tock speaker can sound thin on overdrive tones," they go on to rave that it's "a no-brainer to add to your collection." Honest to God, they mean this because it's only $199, it LOOKS cool, and it sounds decent if you have another amp to plug it into.

Seriously... Fender must have a staff knee-breaker they send out when negative reviews hit print.

***

But for your genuine Spinal Tap moment, check out this quote from Angus Young on recording with his brother, Malcolm:

"Malcolm does inspire me. He has very high standards in his way of playing and everything. He is very musically minded, but he can go to the extremes. Like, if we are in a studio and I'm doing some solos, he'll say, 'I want this to rock like thunder,' and you've got to make it rock. He just says something like that, and you know exactly what it means."

***

Headed to Austin for the conference. Y'all have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Michael said...

For AC/DC, that probably is technical.

Jack Black must've read that article.