Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I Hear Music

it's been a musical day here.

Most of the day I had either "Burden In My Hand" by Soundgarden or "Feel Good, Inc." by Gorillaz going through my head.

Or maybe "Jungle Boogie."

Funky.

Maceo Parker's coming to the House of Blues... "Maceo, blow your horn!"

***

My iPod is working again, somehow. And just in time, because commercial radio was causing me to have carpal tunnel syndrome form pushing the damn buttons over and over again.

***

You should have seen Wolfboy tonight as we rocked out in the van. I played Metallica's "Stone Cold Crazy" for him (minus a couple muted curse words), and he loved it. Air drums from my boy! Or he'd sing along to "Connected" by the Stereo MCs.

***

Been having a playful debate with a coworker. Turns out he's a music fan, sure. Thing is, he thinks the music out of Seattle ruined things. He rues the day Nirvana hit it big, can't stand Soundgarden.

We've tried to find some common ground. Wolfmother didn't do much for him. He asked if I like Spock's Beard (a little).

We both like Rush, but he assumed that meant I'd dig Yes as well. Just say no to Yes!

He was touting the merits of their big double CD... what, Tales from Topographic Oceans or something like that. A double album with only four songs total! Who can sit through this?

I told him I did like some of the music their singer Jon Anderson did for the Legend soundtrack, but "only because he SINGS LIKE AN ELF!"

***

Dragged out the Live Aid DVDs tonight. The first song we listened to was "Maneater" by Hall & Oates, which Wolfboy just loves. You should see him dance! He was singing along to the Beach Boys too, and loved the Who's performance (naturally), even though they really muffed "Won't Get Fooled Again."

We showed him U2's seminal performance, and he said that Bono "needs to brush his hair!"

Wolfboy danced slowly along for a while, telling us his moves were "like Tai Chi."

Then he did some impromptu breakdancing.

Who IS this kid?

***

I like having broad tastes. I do. I've always seen it this way, seen that we deserve far better than what radio feeds us. I'm no longer on the tip though, not by a long shot. It's all passed me by.

I'd like to think I'll continue to move forward though, not getting stuck in this era or that.

***

How is everybody? Looking forward to the holidays? Big plans? Drop me a line.

4 comments:

amcnew said...

Headin' to west Texas to spend the weekend with the longhorns. Oh, and my sister and brother-in-law and super cool nephew. Should be nice and quiet out there.... ahhhhh.......

Amanda said...

Eddie sleeping off night shift. Me. Kids. Dog. Lots of cooking and messes. And the weather is supposed to suck. I have stocked up on rented movies and a Christmas ornament project in hopes that the kids won't drive me insane. I have to at least get to eat turkey before I go to the mental hospital.

Michael said...

"He was touting the merits of their big double CD... what, Tales from Topographic Oceans or something like that. A double album with only four songs total! Who can sit through this?"

I'm a big Yes fan, and even I have no use for Topographic Oceans. Hell, the band themselves have expressed a desire to go back and edit/remix the record so it's single album length. But their record company won't let 'em.

Funnily enough, I've read several music articles over the years that claim the late 80s/early 90s Seattle grunge thing "ruined" heavy metal. Considering the that dominate form of metal at that time was typified by Warrant and Poison, I'd say Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, et al saved metal.

If this guy is a big prog head, you'd think he'd like Soundgarden, considering their weird twists and turns, odd time signatures and spacey keys. Oh well, no accounting for taste.

Michael

BB said...

I've tried to turn him on to Porcupine Tree. We may find some common ground after all.