Thursday, March 13, 2008

Texan by the Grace of God

My job took me, once again, to one of the outlying counties. This time I was at a health fair in Grandview, Texas.

I enjoy that part of my job. When I'm out in some little town my natural accent shows through, and there's almost always some bit of rural culture to behold.

The health fair was a modestly-attended event. The woman at the booth next to me asked me why there were so many boots and hats on the students. "Was it Western day or something?"

I thought, We're in Grandview, Texas, a town with one traffic light. I doubt this is "dress up" for them.

***

We barely made it on time, Wolfboy and I. We had some snacks (of course) to get us by until it was over though.

I'd hoped we'd see a chain burger joint somewhere to get a meal, but on the way in it became clear that there was no such place to be found. I asked some of the locals, and they all suggested we go to Neal's, a burger joint/gas station/laundromat.

Always up for a bit of local culture, we headed that a-way. (Sorry--it's my accent coming back to me)

***

Neal's had that suitably grimy, humid feel inside. It wasn't exactly a dump, but you kind of felt like there was a layer of grease on every single thing in there that simply could/would not ever be removed.

Wolfboy and I sat down and ate our cheeseburgers while watching the Stars/Red Wings game.

The meat was juicy. The condiments were generous The bun was fresh, but crisply toasted on the inside. The potato wedges were mighty fine.

We both got stuffed to the gills for $9.54.

Highly recommended.

***

On the way back, Wolfboy noticed the old buildings downtown. "Why don't they build some new buildings here?"

I explained that old buildings could be nice, and that sometimes we like to keep old things around to remind us of how things used to be.

As we headed up the freeway, he asked what city we were in.

"I'm not sure in some of these rural areas. This might be Alvarado."

"Real areas? What's that?"

"RURAL areas," I said, enunciating clearly.

"Rural? I don't get it. Is that where everything is old?"

"No, it's just country. It's where there aren't as many people living as in the city. Things are farther apart," I said.

He asked to roll down the window, and for a long time he stared out at passing vehicles, at the sky, whatever.

"I can see another universe!" he said.

"Yeah, the city's nice, but all the lights make a glare in the night sky that makes it harder to see things up there," I said.

He was resting his head on his hand, staring up.

A few minutes later I noticed that he'd fallen asleep in that very position, with the wind whipping through his hair.

And for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, I hope he remembers tonight for a very long time.

1 comment:

amcnew said...

I wish every parent would teach their children to appreciate the things in life that aren't all new and shiny and fast. The other stuff matters, too.