Sunday, March 02, 2008

A Texas-themed Survey

1. First of all, where in Texas have you & do you live?
Born in Freeport, spent my first 22 years more or less in Angleton. Then six in Austin and the rest in northeastern suburbs of Ft. Worth.

2. Where's your favorite place to chill in Texas?
You know… might be Lost Maples.

3. (What?)
Que?

4. Do you go camping?
It’s been a while. I’d like to do some more.

5. Do you use the word "y'all"?
Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

6. Have you ever owned a truck?
I have owned three.

7. Have you ever had heat exhaustion?
Yes! I was out working on the well pump in 110 degree heat one summer day. I was crouched down in the wellhouse, and the sweat was rolling off my nose in a steady stream. After a while, though, I noticed that it stopped. I got out, stood up, and felt my hair, my armpits… I was bone dry. 110 degrees and there was no sweat on me. So I went inside and drank about a quart of water.

8. How many "Texas snows" have you witnessed?
Eh… a handful. And that’s too many.

9. Have you ever ice skated outdoors?
What? No.

10. Have you ever shot a gun?
Does the Pope… ah, nevermind. Yes.

11. Do you prefer the Spurs or the Mavs?
I wish the Mavs well, but honestly, basketball makes me crazy.

12. Do you like the city or the country?
A little from column A, a little from column B

13. Have you ever been sprayed by a skunk?
No, but I nearly ran over a skunk that had to weigh 30 pounds once.

14. Have you ever run over an armadillo?
Yes, I’m sorry to say.

15. Have you ever been to a cowboys game?
Nope. I’ve spent some time crawling around Texas Stadium as an audio tech though. The place is a real dump.

16. Have you ever been to a Stars game?
No, but I might go someday.

17. What's your favorite Mexican food restaurant?
I’ll still take El Jacalito in east Austin.

18. Have you ever drank Shiner beer?
Shiner Bock and I have some history together.

19. Have you ever been on a hayride?
Yes.

20. Have you ever ridden a horse?
Not yet

21. Were you in 4-H or FFA?
No. I’m not THAT country.

22. Which place in Texas has the best scenery/view?
Right around Bandera is pretty doggone nice.

23. Which grocery store do you shop at?
Currently, it’s Target. What does this question have to do with Texas stuff?

24. Have you ever partied in a barn?
I guess not.

25. Have you ever partied in a pasture?
Despite my upbringing so close to Danbury, Texas, it actually never happened.

26. Do you like keg beer?
We broke up several years ago.

27. Are you Baptist?
No no. I’m a Lutheran agnostic Buddhist.

28 Have you ever been swimming in a river or creek?
Sure. And the occasional bayou too.

29. How many presidents do you know lived in Texas?
Eh, some folks from the Bush clan and LBJ, right?

30. Have you ever been on the Comal River?
Not that one. The Guadalupe, yes.

31. Is/was your school big?
Um, 5A. What, couple thousand kids?

32. How many times have you been to Houston?
Millions. Too many. It’s the armpit of Texas.

33. Have you ever ridden a mechanical bull?
I’m no Debra Winger. No.

34. Have you ever been to a rodeo?
Yes indeed. And tractor pulls and mud races.

35. Do you own a cowboy hat?
No, the look never worked for me. But I still wear boots regularly. Got some beat up old Noconas that feel like a second skin, and my newer Tony Lamas that my Daddy bought me are pretty sweet.

No comments: