Monday, November 15, 2004

Hour of Need

(Culled from an email I sent to a couple of friends)

Last night, Kelli emerges from the bedroom, saying "Help me please." She's got a terrible pain in her head, and she's scared to death. I give her ibuprofen, but she's in bad shape. Sees light flashes with her eyes shut, her extremities are tingling, she's getting hot and cold flashes, and she's insatiably thirsty. Worried that she's having some sort of central nervous system catastrophe like a stroke, I scramble an ambulance to the house around midnight.

They take her, and I begin trying to figure out how to get myself to the ER. I can't quite make myself take the kids there. Handling two kids who should be asleep, by myself, in the ER waiting room is just not practical. And they'd likely not let them go back and see Kelli anyway.

I call Erik Hood, who lives 45 minutes away in Frisco. He's a night owl like me, up, and arrives in about 46 minutes. I give him quick directions on what to do should either child awaken before sunrise, and take off for the ER. Cat scan and tox screens are clear. The diagnosis is a migraine, which she has not had since I've known her. She says she's had a few, but never like that, and many years ago anyway. They say the tingling is from hyperventilating, and everything else is attributable to the migraine. Scary.

We return around 3am, and stunningly, Erik goes BACK to Frisco (instead of remaining on our air mattress). He hit the sheets at 4am and is here at work today. I worked an audio gig for him Saturday, and will do another this Saturday. Needless to say, I won't charge him a penny foreither.

SO... Gotta say it was my hour of need, and the guy came through.

Anyway... tired, but I'm glad I've still got my spouse.

No comments: