Thursday, November 11, 2004

Two Words

An exchange from the office this afternoon, as I listened to "Know Your Rights" by the Clash:

Normally Friendly African American Woman (via IM): "what is that?.....i'd rather hear the typing"

[We have an annoyingly loud typist in the office]

Me (speaking): "That's the Clash. From 1978 I believe."

NFAAW (speaking from here on out): "Oh. That's the year I was born. But it's all (imitates grating drum/guitar sound)"

Me: "Do you REALLY want to talk about music that's set largely to percussion and nothing else and is lacking in melody?"

NFAAW: "Oh you DIDN'T go there."

Me: "Two words: hip and hop."

Scarily Conservative White Guy Who Never Talks to Anyone (standing up in his cube): "Yeah!"

NFAAW: "There you went and lumped us all into one basket. Two words you won't have to listen to again: hip and hop."

(She lends me CDs sometimes. I'm guessing she was trying to tell me that the loans would stop.)

Funny how you say one thing and someone can perceive something else out of it. Didn't mean to cheese her off, but...

***
So was I a jerk? She hadn't complained about the Al Green, Earth Wind & Fire or Bukka White at that volume...

1 comment:

BB said...

I was wrong about the year. It's on Combat Rock, from '82.