Monday, April 16, 2007

At the Cannibal Club

Where were you in March of 1991?

I was in Austin, sharing an incredibly cramped apartment with Toland, who had moved up from Houston in January. I'd been there since October 13 (MOBB's birthday, in fact, though I wouldn't learn that until later).

I was working in a record store on Lamar, making not quite enough money to pay the rent. I'd been steadily selling off the small studio of instruments and recording gear I'd amassed so I'd have money to pay for the roof over my head, food, and beer.

I also spent an awful lot of time seeing bands like Buick Mackane at places like the Cannibal Club.

Lo and behold, Toland sends me this video today, shot 3/14/91.



He thinks he was there for this show, and though I can't imagine why I wouldn't have seen Buick WITH him in March of '91, I don't recall being at a show with a camera crew present. It was probably shot for long-running cable access show Capzeyez (I probably butchered the spelling).

Anyway, this is like a home movie to me, really a welcome, wholly enjoyable snapshot of an important time in my life.

By June MOBB had moved to Austin, and we have been together ever since.

Bitchin'. Thanks to Toland for that one.

***

Survey. Been a while since I did one. Please feel free to take a stab at it yourself.

1] What made you happy this past week?
Watching THEBOY pick Indian Paintbrushes for his mother and clutch them lovingly the whole drive home.

2] Which friend's car were you in last?
Uh... no idea. Batman's probably.

3] When was the last time you cried?
I wanted to at times the night the roof leaked, but I never did. So... I don't know.

4] What color shirt are you wearing?
Red

5] How long is your hair?
Short, but just reaching that length where it starts to get wavy again. Almost time for a trim.

7] What’s on your mind right now?
Hitting the sheets.

8] Last movie you watched?
Beats me. Tonight in class we watched a clip of Patch Adams. The prof asked, "Is there anyone here who hasn't seen this movie?" I was the only person who raised a hand. Everyone laughed. Why is it always me?

9] Last thing you ate?
Pasta...mmm

10] Last thing you drank?
Some red punch my son invented.

11] Where did you sleep last night?
On my posh new mattress, baby

13] Are you happy right now?
Kinda

14] What did you say last?
"Good night, hon."

15] Where is your phone?
On the hutch

16) Favorite comedian?
George Carlin

17) What color are your eyes?
Brown

18) What time is right now?
10:27pm

19] Who came over last?
THEBOY had a play date this weekend. His buddy was a perfect little guest.

20] Name the last two things you have bought?
Uh... I bought groceries. Oh, and lunch at Luby's today.

21] Who/what do you hate/dislike currently?
The war

22] What are you listening to?
Last thing I remember, music-wise, was an Otis Spann instrumental.

23] What is your weapon of choice?
Sarcasm

24] What's your favorite scent?
Those Indian Paintbrushes will do just fine

25] Who makes you the happiest right now?
My family

26] Does someone like you at the moment?
I feel I'm fairly well-liked.

28] What were you doing at midnight last night?
Probably getting up to pee for the first of 58 times.

29] What was the first thing you said when you woke up?
"Move, cat! I swear, you've got agoraphobia..!"

30] Are you left-handed?
no

31] Spell your name without vowels:
BRN

32] How many pairs of jeans do you own?
Three or four

33] What is your favorite color(s)?
Blue, maroon

34] What's for dinner tonight?
Pasta

35] What is the last alcoholic beverage you drank?
A six-pack of Ziegenbock

36] When Is Your Birthday?
August

37] Who was the last person to send you a text message?
Probably my sister

38] Last time you went swimming in a pool?
Summer before last... wow

39] Where was the last place you went shopping?
Target

40] How do you feel about your hair?
We have established a truce.

41] How's the weather?
Nice afternoons, cool mornings and nights

42] How often do you listen to techno music?
How often do you listen to Junior Kimbrough?

43] Have you ever been verbally or physically abused?
Nope, unless some scraps with classmates when I was a kid count.

44] Have you ever felt not good enough?
Sure. TV will do it for you.

45] Is there something important you need to tell someone?
No

46] Will you ever tell them?
This assumes I answered yes on 45.

47] Is there anyone you would take a bullet for?
Sure.

48] What languages do you wish you could speak?
I'd really like to take my Spanish to another level

49] Do you hate when people doubt you?
Doesn't everyone?

50] Do you have big plans and goals for your life?
Yes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember seeing a camera crew at a Buick show either, but I do remember going to see them at the Cannibal Club around that time. They were pissed off at something (somebody told me later that they were informed right before they went onstage that they wouldn't be paid) and played louder than God. It was the show that finally convinced me to start wearing earplugs to shows.

Anyway, it could very well have been a different show, but it might have been this one.

Mchl