Thursday, April 19, 2007

Caffeine and Endorphins

My abs are sore, as are several places in my back. My knuckles are skinned and my shin is scraped.

It’s good to be back in Krav.

***

Yeah, I finally got to return last night. I had a good lunch, ate healthy things during the day… then about 4:30 I started to fade. Fatigue set in. I did what any normal person would do: I bought one of those over-caffeinated Rock Star drinks, and chased it with a banana.

That’s probably not what caused me to sit out some of the class for the first time. With one drill left (knees, always a bear) I had to sit. I had nothing left. I’d started well, and felt the endorphin rush (too) early. As I often do, I worked out with the school’s biggest guy, a good training partner and a good guy, but that’s no walk in the park. We did these drills where you punch your partner across the mat and back. Holding the bag was almost as rough as being the puncher in my case.

And then it hit me: You do one more thing and you’ll take a ride on the vomit comet. Dang.

So I sat.

Again, dang.

***

But I’d been out for over three weeks, so it shouldn’t have been a surprise. And in a few minutes I had it back and finished class.

***

BB’s current therapy: “Sacrifice/Let There Be Peace” by Bob Mould.

***

And now “If I Can’t Change Your Mind” by Sugar comes on… cool.

***

The Rangers got no-hit by Mark Buehrle last night. My hat’s off to the guy. He’s always sort of been right on the verge of becoming a really dominant, really noteworthy pitcher. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come.

***

A woman I met at a work event just emailed me—again—about what a good looking kid THEBOY is. This morning she wrote, “In all your spare time you should send his pic into some modeling/talent agency.”

MOBB and I do make purty babies.

***

I feel like I should say something about the Virginia Tech murders, but I don’t know what. I'll try.

We’ve learned a thing or two about what to look for after Columbine, and by all indications the shooter had the attention of campus police and mental health professionals.

(Is it true he’d been in an inpatient facility at some point?)

But humans are unpredictable, and obviously someone can plan and implement a killing spree without divulging the sort of information to authorities that would make the necessity to intervene clear.

***

Former Rangers skipper Johnny Oates was a Virginia Tech alumnus.

***

Happy Thursday.

No comments: