Friday, April 20, 2007

A Music Meme While Waiting for Intervention to Come On

Ah, finally a meme I can sink my teeth into. No more of this "who likes you" (everyone) or "who do you wanna see nekkid" (almost everyone) stuff.

Ganked from the utterly enjoyable Jefito Blog which, sadly, may be going away.

*

Of all the bands and artists in your collection, of which one do you own the most albums?

I don't feel like getting up to go SEE, so I'm going with the "I'm pretty sure this is right" approach. It's got to be BB King. I must have... oh, 15 of his CDs in there. And that's not enough. And good old Charles Brown, well, I've probably got 10 of his. After that Eric Johnson deserves a mention due to the sheer number of bootlegs of his I've got (could be 15 CDs as well). Probably 7 or 8 Bad Brains CDs, Um... I've got a lot of Billie Holiday too, and Brave Combo and Muddy Waters... how's that?

What was the last song you listened to?

"Early in the Morning" by the Gap Band

What are your favorite instruments?

Drums and piano

Who’s your favorite local artist/band?

I'm gonna branch out as far as Austin just so I can include Alejandro Escovedo.

What was the last show you attended?

The Who last November.

What was the greatest show you’ve ever been to?

Aw man, so many great shows... Escovedo, Buick Mackane, Eric Johnson was brilliant lots of times, Charles Brown in Seattle, BB King on Austin City Limits, Doug Sahm at Antone's, Buddy Guy at Antone's, the Who in 2000, U2 on the Joshua Tree tour... I've forgotten lots of great shows, I just know it.

What’s the worst band you’ve ever seen in concert?

Hmm... Lone Justice? Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians? The John Strahm (sp?) band? Oh... wait, maybe it was that guy in Spoon... Brent something? Did a solo show at the Electric Lounge once while opening for Hamell on Trial. He sucked something awful, and the crowd told him. So what'd he do? Jump off the stage and charge into the crowd, looking to fight whoever had just yelled "you suck!"

What band do you love musically but hate the members of?

I'm guessing the two primary guys in Oasis aren't exactly paragons of virtue, not that I LOVE their music. And I'm sorry, but as dearly as I love Merle Haggard's music, this shit where he shows up too loaded to, say, remember the words to "Mama Tried" ain't the least bit amusing.

What is the most musically involved you have ever been?

Six months as a roadie for a country cover band in the late 80s and 3 or 4 years as an audio tech on Austin City Limits.

What show are you looking forward to?

Chris Cornell in Dallas next weekend.

What is your favorite band shirt?

My wife has a Replacements shirt from the All Shook Down tour that I'm mighty damn proud of.

What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?

Not sure. Sometimes I think it's Doug Sahm (yeah, I know I'm too late). To me, THAT'S the Texan paradigm. I'd like to flatter myself and think we're similar with our affinity for blues, R&B, and things imported from south of the border, but really, that guy was far cooler than I'll ever be.

What musician would you like to be in love with you for a day?

I keep telling Susanna Hoffs that she's gotta stop calling me.

What was your last musical “phase” before you wised up?

Oh, in the late 90s when I listened to almost nothing but dead opiate addicts that wasn't exactly good for my mental health.

Sabbath or solo Ozzy?

Sabbath

What was the greatest decade for music?

Know what? Give me '95 to '04. Seriously. I can pick the decade, right?

What is your favorite movie soundtrack?

Singles

Who is your favorite artist who is much better live than on a recording?

I can honestly say I think Van Morrison sings better live. On CD he always sounds like his pitch runs a little sharp.

Do you have a hidden desire to be a popular musician?

Not anymore. Mostly I just wanted to play on stage a bit. Got close, but no cigar. Woodshedding's fine for me.

Have you ever used drugs to enhance the music experience?

In 1981 I had a bad cold, and while listening to 2112 on the headphones I had the sensation of falling. That was just antihistamines. So yes.

No comments: