Sunday, April 15, 2007

Five Things

Bleary-eyed again, gazing in a stupor at the midnight showing of Fast Times at Ridgement High... So I'll kill time with a meme I spotted somewhere.

This is five things you do every day:

1. I eat frequently. Don't take this to mean that I eat a huge quantity of food, as I usually don't. But I'm a nibbler, usually with a vast array of mostly healthy snacks tucked here and there in my office, vehicle and backpack to stave off true hunger. Between breakfast and lunchtime on a weekday I've often had two low-cal yogurts, maybe a banana, one or two cups of tea and maybe even some almonds. I've just learned that the older I get, the bigger mistake I'm making when I stuff myself at some meal.

2. Listen to music. What can I say? I don't often drive even as far as the few blocks to the kindergarten without listening to music, often from my iPod. In my office at work I stream music all day. I've got Launch nicely pruned to play what I want, though I'm considering ponying up the money to join the streaming music service at KBON. One can never have too much Cajun music, right?

3. Apparently, I say, "Happy Monday" (or happy Tuesday or whatever) as I come into the office. Now whenever I come in the folks at the front desk say it for me and have a bemused chuckle. And then I say it back to them.

4. I look forward. I've got no tolerance or need for looking over my shoulder, whether it's to indulge in nostalgia or wish something had been different (hoo boy do I have a list of ex-girlfriends I'd end up sending apologies to if I did...). At the very least I remain in the present, though I really do what I can to look forward to something, either in the immediate or distant future.

5. At the end of the day, when it's just me with my thoughts and the darkness, I give thanks. Call it prayer, call it a moment of meditation or affirmation or reflection... but yes, every day at some point I summarize things for myself, find myself taking stock of what's good, bad, or other in my life. I'm thankful for every day, no matter the qualifier.

***

And in fact, I should go do some of that in just a sec.

Sleep well.

No comments: