Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Butt-Kickin' Update

Man, it was quite a surprise to learn that there was a whole night of butt-kickin' TV on tonight on Spike. Sweeeeet.

***

I had to tape the Fight Night Live stuff, as the kids were still up while they aired live. A few scattered thoughts:

Watching those two sloppy heavyweights go at it wasn't entertaining, but one was a Dutchman named Hardonk, and I stuck around just because Joe Rogan clearly called him "Hardon" throughout the fight.

Hardon lost.

*

Two 155 pound guys fought, guys I didn't know. But one with a red dye-job won on an ankle lock. He celebrated with a really dipshit looking breakdance move (oh wait, that's redundant) in the ring, about which Rogan said he was "trying to pretend it didn't happen." And for Rogan to tell that guy in the post-fight interview that "if I had a booger as big as you I'd want someone to tell me" was genius, pure genius.

*

Joe Stephenson, whom Melvin Guillard had accused of using HGH, shut Guillard up with a quick, nasty guillotine choke. GOOD.

***

And on season five of The Ultimate Fighter, those 155 pound guys are indeed nuts. Watching Dana White try to corral Pulver and Penn as they sidestepped the rules during the selection process was highly entertaining.

The fighter who lost, "Monster," also referred to himself as "The Crustacean Sensation." Now THAT shit is funny! That's a phrase that'll stick around a while in this household.

***

I read a comment on an a message board the other day from a guy who said he didn't think kickboxing's much use as far as real life self-defense goes.

Eh? You can debate the merits of different arts (and that's what this particular forum is all about), but really... as far as giving someone a good set of useful tools, why knock kickboxing?

***

I may be taking over the newsletter duties for my Krav school, and I'm kind of excited about the idea. I haven't sprung this on the owners/managers yet, but I'm inclined to set it up as a blog (go figure). I'd probably do it on myspace, with each newsletter as a separate blog entry (maybe monthly). I could also have polls, music, bulletins as necessary, and of course, member comments.

***

Not sure I'll get a chance to get to some bar and watch the UFC PPV event this Saturday.

***

I'm off tomorrow. Happy Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the guy who knocked kickboxing is getting the two types confused. The kickboxing I practice is strictly for exercise, particularly cardio, and probably wouldn't be of much use in a real fight. Since I'm much more interested in losing weight and keeping my heart in shape than I am in learning to fight, it's perfect for me.

I would imagine that defense/fight-oriented kickboxing would do some real damage, though. I mean, think of all those Asian kickboxing techniques that have popping up in martial arts movies lately. That looks like deadly stuff to me. But I'm no martial artist, so I could be wrong.

Michael