Sunday, January 06, 2008

Do You?

Everyone’s asleep. MOBB took Wolfboy on a Cub Scout trip today, something where they did a bunch of hiking and orienteering (perhaps that’s redundant). They came back just plumb worn out, but they had a good time. Wolfboy, I’m told, maintained one of the better attitudes, even after everyone was exhausted and frustrated.

So I had a terrific, fairly directionless day alone with THEGIRL. This morning we hit the library, where I got a few things of interest. Well, the things that interest me most are A Miracle of Catfish by the late Larry Brown (it still hurts to say that) and a CD by Linda Ronstadt and Ann Savoy.

The Brown book is something I should have read long ago. I’d had terrific recommendations lately from some good folks. I looked for The Kite Runner, The Book of Lost Things, The Terror, and the latest John Grisham book, all of which came highly recommended. My library didn’t have a single one.

And the CD only caught my eye because of Ann Savoy, she of the heralded musical clan over in Louisiana. I’m curious to know how those two sound together.

This afternoon we hit the playground at the mall so THEGIRL could blow off some steam and I could unwind a bit. It was a good trip.

***

BB’s current list of therapies for a fine, bloggin’ Saturday night:

“Strawberry Letter 23” by the Brothers Johnson
“Boogie Night” by Heatwave
“Fire” by the Ohio Players
“I Feel Love” by Donna Summer
“Set It Off” by Audioslave
“Give Thanks and Praises” by Bad Brains
“Yellow” by Coldplay
“Tomorrow, Wendy” by Concrete Blonde
“Baker Street” by the Foo Fighters
“Feel Good Inc” by Gorillaz
“Junior’s Place” by Junior Kimbrough
“Misery and Gin” by Merle Haggard
“Breadfan” by Metallica
“Hurt” by Nine Inch Nails
“Mama’s Got a Friend” by Otis Taylor
“Few Feet Away” by Otis Taylor
“Connected” by Stereo MCs
“Hooker With a Penis” by Tool
“Green Eyed Stars” by Varnaline
“Sweet Life” by Varnaline

***

I need to learn “The Needle and the Damage Done” by Neil Young. Of course I do.

***

If you’re up to it, I’d like to know. This isn’t a survey. This is me, indulging myself yet again. But I’d like for you to indulge yourself too. These are yes/no questions, sure, but I’d like details when possible. Add or omit as you feel inclined.

*
DO YOU

1. Believe? I do. I believe in myself, period. I know myself well enough by this point to know that I should. And I believe in a Maker, and I believe in love and goodness. And there’s some line from Bull Durham about passionate kisses I should be able to quote but can’t. Regardless, I believe in those too.

2. Want the truth? Sometimes. Not to say that I want to be lied to, but the truth is sometimes too painful.

3. Care what others think? Yes and no. I’m a man with a conscience, and I really don’t ever want to tick someone else off. I want to be considerate, want to keep the peace. On the flipside, I think I handle my own business well enough that I don’t give a flip what anyone else thinks about that.

4. Make wishes? Yes. I think we all do. I hope so at least.

5. Experience emotions for which you have no words? Yep. Have I mentioned that I’m apparently part girl?

6. Feel how you’ve changed? Yes. Physically and mentally. Absolutely.

7. Find that the years just fly by? Yes. They told me this would happen. A year is now nothing. Nothing. Remember when we were kids and it seemed like forever?

8. Feel that you’ve made good decisions? Sometimes. Looking back, there are certainly forks in the road where I wish I’d gone the other direction.

9. Find yourself facing your fears? Yes, and often. There are some that I hope never come around though.

10. Feel a sense of purpose? Yes, and for that I am grateful. I knew something was missing when I worked in TV.


***

And now for something disturbing… the video for Bad Brains’ “Give Thanks and Praises/Jah Love.”

Something about singer HR is just… eery. The man does look like he lost his grip on reality quite some time ago.

***

Good night. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

amcnew said...

1. I believe deeply in powers that are much greater than I.

2. Not always.

3. Yes, unfortunately I care a great deal what others think.

4. Yes, everyday.

5. I usually have words for everything, but lately I have been experiencing some indescribable emotions.

6. Yes, and it terrifies me sometimes.

7. OMG, yes. I am soooo old!

8. Some good, some bad.

9. Everyday.

10. I know I have a purpose. I'm just not entirely sure what it is!