Friday, January 04, 2008

Funky

BB’s current therapy: “Strawberry Letter 23” by the Brothers Johnson.

***

Been listening to a lot of old funk, soul, and disco lately. I got an iTunes gift card and took the opportunity to at least load up on some singles like “Brick House” and “Lady Marmalade” (how DID Patti LaBelle sing that?)

***

Currently it’s Thursday evening, though I’ll post this in the morning. Hey, I’m just clarifying because my boss reads this, and she needs to know that I do more than just sit at my computer and blog all day.

***

Oh, I also got “A Change is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke.

Do you know this song? You ought to, you really should. It ought to be our national anthem.

***

And, AND, I got “Boogie Nights” by Heatwave. Didn’t they have another hit? MOBB and I can’t think of it offhand.

Anyway, I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that those guys spent some time as a jazz band at some college, or maybe even gigged as one. Those airy intro and outro parts are really slick and just have that feel about them.

***

Turns out the mighty Bruiser Boone is blogging again. Stop by to share some of the goodness.

***

Two days after Christmas my sister’s dog was out back, barking his head off at something. She brought him in and explained that Slugger had been barking at Ron Paul’s dog.

Apparently Slugger is a democrat.

***

Now I’m listening to Earth, Wind, and Fire. Phillip Bailey’s another person with one of those voices I just don’t get—how can he sing like that? And I heard him not long ago, singing at a baseball game. What, the ALCS or the World Series maybe? He’d put on a few pounds but still sounded great.

That’s a gift I wish I had. There’s something about hearing a gifted singer that moves me beyond words.

***

“Rainbows and waterfalls run through my mind.” What WERE those Brothers Johnson smoking when they wrote this song?

Happy Friday. Below is a survey, ganked from Coley.

***

1)Where is the person you like right now?
I’m not altogether sure. Staring at her computer perhaps.

2) Last time you consumed alcohol?
August 17, 1995

3) If you were stranded on an island and could only bring one person, who would you bring?
Ricardo Montalban!

4)Have you ever kissed in the snow?
No. Shuddered, cursed, slipped, and generally acted like a dork, yes.

5) Last place you took a plane to?
Washington, DC

6) How do you feel about the person who texted you last?
I think she’s terrific

7) Have you ever been around someone who was high?
Uh YEAH.

8)Do you like your life as of now?
Eh… a little from column A, a little from column B

9)Last thing you purchased?
A diet cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper. Yep.

10)Have you ever drank with your number one?
This is specific to Myspace I suppose. Can’t recall offhand who that is. Probably not though.

11)Where are you right now, and how do you feel about where you are?
Sitting on my nalgas on the couch, blissfully listening to a rare moment of silence in this crazy household.

12)What is your opinion about George Bush?
I don’t think much of the job he’s done

13)How's your heart been lately?
Full!

14) Where are you going on vacation next?
To the Yucatan Peninsula via cruise ship, apparently.

15) What are you excited for?
Winning employee of the year

16) Ever kissed someone who smokes?
No. That’s a deal breaker

17)How long have you been liking the person you currently like?
Forever.

18)How old are you right now?
39, going on 139

19)Did you have a good birthday this year?
You mean last year? I can’t recall. I was on a morphine and absinthe bender.

20)Are you tired right now?
Absolutely.

21) Do you have any regrets?
Who doesn’t?

22) Do you get along better with males or females?
Generally speaking, I have a better chance at getting along with women. I’m somewhat social these days, but I’m still a fairly atypical guy, so I don’t get on well with your typical beer-swilling, Hooters-patronizing, plastic boob-obsessin’ white boy in a backwards cap.

23)Do you have a job?
Several. I have a paying day gig, and I counsel clients, as well as being a father, husband, and grad student.

24) What are you hoping for?
Answers

25) Do you get along with your family?
Yes

26) Who is your best friend?
I have a few. That’s the great thing about being a grownup; this “best friends” business isn’t all that exclusive.

27) Who is your enemy?
Jon Bon Jovi. Seriously, why does this guy have a penny more than I do? I’ve been hearing this schmo for 20 years… “shot through the heart and YOU’RE to blame… you give love a bad name.” Is he from some alternate universe where anything that rhymes is considered to be poetry? I’ve not heard a single redeeming moment of music from the man, and offhand, I can’t think of anyone else I feel that way about.

28) Who was the last person to break your heart?
Me

2 comments:

amcnew said...

Ricardo Montalban - funny!

Kissing in the snow is a-okay. I hate the cold, but can't think of a better way to warm up.

Man, BB... why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about Jon Bon Jovi? lol

Michael said...

1)Where is the person you like right now?
There are lots of people I like (contrary to what they believe). I'm sure they're all sitting at their desks working hard right now.

2) Last time you consumed alcohol?
I tasted some crappy drink of my girlfriend's a few months ago. Didn't taste any better than any alcoholic drink I've ever tried.

3) If you were stranded on an island and could only bring one person, who would you bring?
MacGyver.

4)Have you ever kissed in the snow?
"In the snow?" Is that some kind of arcane euphemism?

5) Last place you took a plane to?
Ummm...Portland? Washington, DC? I can't remember.

6) How do you feel about the person who texted you last?
Puzzled, as I had no idea who it was.

7) Have you ever been around someone who was high?
Yep.

8)Do you like your life as of now?
I'm on the fence.

9)Last thing you purchased?
A steak dinner for my girlfriend.

10)Have you ever drank with your number one?
What, you think I'm hung like an elephant?

11)Where are you right now, and how do you feel about where you are?
At my desk at work. Meh.

12)What is your opinion about George Bush?
I think he's a simple but well-meaning man who is easily led astray by evil men with self-serving agendas and has too much pride to admit he's wrong.

13)How's your heart been lately?
Well, it doesn't hurt, so I guess that's good.

14) Where are you going on vacation next?
No idea.

15) What are you excited for?
Trying to learn the Beatles song "Blackbird" and realizing that most of the chords aren't as finger-twisting as I remembered them from the last time I tried.

16) Ever kissed someone who smokes?
Yes, though I didn't know she smoked until after we'd been smooching regularly and she showed up at my apartment with a cig in her hand.

17)How long have you been liking the person you currently like?
I like lots of people. I've lived with only a few of them.

18)How old are you right now?
The big 4-0.

19)Did you have a good birthday this year?
As a matter of fact, I did. Eating good food surrounded by friends and family. Best birthday I've had in years.

20)Are you tired right now?
Of what?

21) Do you have any regrets?
Of course. To be human is to regret something.

22) Do you get along better with males or females?
Women, without a doubt. I was born without the beer, sports, cars, motorcycles, yardwork and spitting genes.

23)Do you have a job?
Yes.

24) What are you hoping for?
A moment of clarity.

25) Do you get along with your family?
Yes.

26) Who is your best friend?
Let's be adults and skip the whole "designation" thing. I have a very small handful of people to whom I am very close and would trust with anything.

27) Who is your enemy?
Anyone who tries to force religion (no matter which one it is) down the throat of everyone else. Anyone who thinks "freedom" means the freedom to do whatever he wants and to hell with everyone else. Anyone who believes than an individual's right to think and speak his or her own beliefs as s/he sees fit should ever be quashed in the name of a cause, especially if said cause is really just a mask for the self-interest mentioned above. Deadheads.

28) Who was the last person to break your heart?
Good question. I think I've broken my own heart more often than anyone else has.