Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Wolfboy's After School Special Life

Friday as we left the in-school daycare, Wolfboy found a geode. It was on the steps in the cafeteria. It's a beauty too, tennis-ball sized, and full of purple-black crystals.

Other kids started telling him "finders keepers," but he insisted on showing the daycare lady. She didn't care one way or the other. I'd sat back 'til then, not saying much.

I suggested he take it home for the weekend, then on Monday he could turn it in at the school, see if anyone reported it missing. I figured he'd take it home and forget about it, but no. He dutifully turned it in yesterday morning.

***

Last night, I had this conversation with him:

Me: "You know, son, I love you every day. Whether you've had a good day or a bad day. Whether your mother and I have been upset or whether we've been happy, I love you more than anyone else in the world. You and your sister. Nothing can change that, ever. Whether I'm sitting right here next to you, or I'm out of state on a business trip. It never changes. Never will."

Wolfboy: "Okay. Did you know that the Hulk married a harpy?"

***

So this morning, a rare morning that found me oversleeping, we still found time to go by the school office and check on the geode.

Before I could say any of the things I'd been rolling around in my head, he blurted out something about wanting to see if the rock was still there.

The office lady was confused, asked him if it's his. I clarified that he'd turned it in.

She picked it up and told him no, but to give them a couple more days.

And then an older kid walked by and saw it. "That belongs to Chase. Sixth grade. I'll tell him it's here."

I could see Wolfboy deflating a bit.

The office lady told him she'd be sure and ask Chase to describe it before giving it to him, but that it was probably his. She told Wolfboy that nevertheless, he'd done the right thing by turning it in.

He didn't say anything.

So we left the office, and I walked him to class. Before going in, I stopped, hunkered down to talk to him, and told him how proud I was that he'd handled that so well, start to finish.

He nodded when I asked if he was disappointed that the rock probably isn't going home with him.

But then he said, "I got two compliments though. One from you and one from the office."

***

I've raised a pretty good kid there.

***

So, you bright folks who come by here... I'll take some input. Should I leave it at that? Case closed? Take him to McDonald's to reward him? Buy him a geode?

4 comments:

Michael said...

It sounds to me like he feels rewarded already from knowing his dad is proud of him.

Buying him a geode for next birthday, or Xmas, or whatever occasion you deem appropriate, would not go amiss, however.

And you're right about him being a good kid. I think Wolfboy's not the only one who should feel proud of his actions.

Amanda said...

I think your praise means a lot to him.

I'm with Michael on how to reward him.

He's a darn fine kid!

BB said...

His next birthday isn't until December, unfortunately. I'm going to just wait and see if he's really hung up on it I suppose. More verbal praise as well.

amcnew said...

Take him to one of those places where you pick out the geode and watch them saw it open to reveal the prize.