Friday, January 04, 2008

To Market, To Market

How many posts after trips have I titled something along the lines of "Home Again Home Again, Jiggety Jig"?

I didn't know it was from a nursery rhyme until I had kids.

No, I only knew it from the very scene in Blade Runner that I just watched. JF Sebastian returns home with Pris, and he's greeted by two little android guys who say that to him. That's where I got it.

***

It's Friday night, and I'm tired.

***

BB's current therapy, in case you hadn't guessed: Blade Runner

What an odd movie in so many ways. I mean, here's Harrison Ford appearing in a science fiction movie in 1982, and it's NOT from the Star Wars franchise. In fact, it's altogether different in mood, tone, pacing, content... this is a Ridley Scott film after all. It's dark and somber, brutal in places.

And here's Ford's character, Deckard, dreaming of a unicorn. That's an image featured prominently in another Scott film of which I'm quite fond: Legend.

***

I didn't get this movie at first. I guess I was 14 when I saw it in the theater. Granted, I wasn't exactly a Star Wars fan, but I must have expected something more along those lines. I wasn't prepared for how gritty and... polluted this all seemed.

It's set in 2019, by the way.

***

A year or two later when it came out on video, I watched it again. I was home from school, sick with the flu. I was full of medicine, back in the day when those meds really tripped out the patient.

And I got it.

I did. Gloomy, ruined, beautiful, tragic. I got this movie.

So here I am again, watching it on a Friday night (and NOT loaded on a darn thing, thank you). And I still get it. And I still think it's pretty damn good.

***

Ladies and gentlemen (okay, mostly ladies), we have a shirtless Harrison Ford at 1:06:09 of this DVD. I'm just putting that out there as a public service announcement.

***

Another PSA: Get yourself some snickerdoodle cookies and dip them in some Yoplait "Thick & Creamy" Creme Caramel flavored yogurt. It's a damn fine snack.

***

At 1:11:37, Deckard is basically forcing himself on Rachael. He corners her, even shoves her (okay, now THAT was uncalled for). As he reaches to kiss her, he almost looks like he's going to get a firm handful of hair and pull her to him, but doesn't.

Deckard plays rough.

***

And here's Roy, played by Rutger Hauer. Forgive me if I'm butchering the spelling.

He really, really should have been Lestat in Interview With the Vampire.

***

Lyrics...

You know, sometimes a great lyric appears in a not-so-great context. I love the line "I don't mind the sun sometimes the images it shows/I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes" from "Pepper" by the Butthole Surfers. But it's really just one semi-sweet, semi-sexy, semi-trippy lyric from a song about a lot of random hoo-ha.

A similar lyric that I love is "Breathe out so I can breathe you in" from "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters. I'd say it's generally a more pleasing, more meaningful song anyway.

"Because the sky is blue, it makes me cry" from "Because" by the Beatles is a good one, but like lots of Beatles lyrics, it's in the middle of their typical brand of stream-of-consciousness verbiage.

***

Man, I think some of the set pieces in this were also used in Legend, which came out three years later according to IMDB. Interesting.

***

I believe I'll sign off. Sleep well, have a good weekend.

3 comments:

amcnew said...

A lyric that has been running through my head lately - "Don't kiss me like we're married. Kiss me like we're lovers." KT Oslin's "Hold Me."

BB said...

See, ya get to talking about Harrison Ford and him being shirtless and some smoochin' and all and the ladies just go wild.

Good lyric there, btw. I don't think I know that song.

amcnew said...

Ahhh, Harrison... he's got a new one coming out soon, too.........