Thursday, February 28, 2008

Blisters, Falkner Musings, Pills, Boscoe and the Test

Follow me.

Or not.

Something strange used to happen to me. I’d never heard of this before.

When I first moved out on my own, I was a mess. It was late 1990. I’ve been over all that I suppose.

And I’d get these blisters on my hands. I’m not kidding. The correlation was clear: When I was stressed out, I’d get them. I could feel them even before I could see them. Sometimes I’d pick at them a lot and make them emerge, and sometimes I’d try to leave them alone, and maybe they’d be all but invisible. I could still feel them though.

***

Random lyrics from Jason Falkner’s “Untitled”
You ran outside and caught the moon

I knew then and there I'd never catch up to you

When you ran outside and caught the moon

I knew then and there I'd never catch up to you 

You may not have been able to change the world

But at least you changed my world

You may not have been able to change the world

But at least you changed my world...


***

I have faced some serious stress this week though, and handled it better than usual. I’m pretty startled at how capable I’ve been.

It doesn’t feel right somehow.

These pills have some side effects I don’t like in the least. I may quit taking them.

***

Another random Jason Falkner lyric, from “The Introduction”

Take a chance with me
And you will find you’re only dreaming…


***

It was four years ago this month that I was lying on that air mattress in the nursery-to-be, unable to sleep, lost in the sound of Jason Falkner’s album Can You Still Feel?.

So much of it is about being aware enough, being comfortable enough in one’s own skin, to recognize beauty and talent. And it’s about chucking aside complacency, about pursuing what you really want.

***

“It’s not all black and white.” That was the theme for my senior yearbook.

Turns out they were right.

***

We’re all over the map tonight, eh?

***

Had to go work in one of our outlying counties tonight. It’s one aspect of my job that I enjoy. They did their darnedest to make this Fort Worth boy feel welcome. I appreciated it.

And the brownies were terrific!

***

This weekend I take the exit exam. I must pass this to graduate.

Two classmates who took it said, “It’s no big deal! You’ll pass easily! There’s hardly any stats!”

Another classmate who took it said, “You NEED to study for this, BB.”

Another classmate who hasn’t yet taken it said, “I’m worried—I heard there’s stats on the test.”

***

Man, these Flamin’ Hot Cheetos are pretty doggone good!

***

Guess I’d better knock off before some theme or interesting writing emerges… Good night.

1 comment:

amcnew said...

Man, I hope Kelli is all right with changing her name again... hilarious!