Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I'd Rather Go Blind"

I heard this song on the way to work today. I suppose it's originally an Etta James song. I could look it up, but I don't feel like it.



I'm actually not a huge Etta James fan. Her over-the-top singing just never quite lit me up. But I remember seeing this duet with Dr. John back in the mid-80s, and it still makes me smile.

If you happen to know a terrific version of this song, I'm all ears. The lyrics are great, but I have yet to ever hear it really done well.

3 comments:

Michael said...

What about Marcia Ball's version?

Etta reworked the lyrics and now sings it as "I'd Rather Be a Blind Girl."

BB said...

Marcia Ball's version is... close. Though I like her voice, I don't care all that much for her performance on that one. Can't put my finger on it, but her vocalisms are so... flighty. Maybe she just doesn't have the pipes for such weighty material.

Michael said...

Hmmm...I always thought Marcia sang it rather tastefully.

I can see what you mean about Etta's version, at least here...she can't seem to resist adding unnecessary over-the-top adlibs every other line.

Etta and Dr. John - the battle of the bulges. Ok, that was mean, especially considering that both of them have lost a ton of weight since this was recorded.