Thursday, February 07, 2008

But Can the Sheep Pitch?

Just a few quick notes...

Nolan Ryan, my homeboy from Alvin, Texas, is now the new Rangers president.

Somehow, Nolan was left off of my man-crush list.

By many accounts, the Rangers now have one of the top five farm systems in all of baseball. The man widely, credited for that, GM Jon Daniels, will report to Nolan.

God is great, God is good. Perhaps the Rangers will get pitching, in addition to thunderous wood.

***

I'd like to think that somewhere in some contract of his from years past must SURELY be some legalese stating that the Rangers also own DNA rights.

Yes, I'm suggesting we make Nolan Ryan clones. Tell the Aggies to quit jerking around with sheep--we need them to clone us some pitchers, pronto.

***

Two songs that are proof that a song can succeed with a good melody, good performance, and really dumb lyrics:

4 Non Blondes-- "What's Up"

&

Goo Goo Dolls-- "Name"

By the way, the Goo Goo Dolls... "Name" would actually have been a better name for that band. In fact, just about anything would have been, including:

Emergency Appendectomy
Debbie Gibson
Uncle Chester and the Sidelong Glances
Deuteronomy's a Hoot
Wolfboy's All-Cheese Diet
Shut Up Shut Up

***

I'm just sayin'.

***

Note to Sis: I want to start a fraternity at my school and call it Gabba Gabba Hey.

***

The Triops didn't make it.

But we have more eggs. We'll try again.

***

I'm giving it up. Have a grand Friday, a grand weekend. Revel in this life of yours. Share an embrace once in a while.

4 comments:

Michael said...

The frontman for the Goo Goo Dolls has said more than once that, had they known they were going to stick around and be a big-name band, they'd have chosen a better sobriquet. (My vote is for Wolfboy's All-Cheese Diet.)

Of course, I'd like to think that if they'd've known they were going to transform from a blistering punky power pop band into adult contemporary rockers so wimpy your great-grandmother could take 'em, they've have broken up in 1990.

Amanda said...

Too bad women can't join fraternities.

My condolences on the loss of the triops. Our one bugger is going strong. I expect him to crawl out of the dish any day now and arm-wrestle the dog.

Anonymous said...

I like this game. I must confess that one of my favorite band names is "Ned's Atomic Dustbin".
"Made up band names better than Goo Goo Dolls":
- "Macaroni and Ketchup"
- "Lesion"
- "Banging Erasers"
- "Back Alley Aristotles"
- "Chocolate Covered Elbows"

Hey Double B, 20 inches of snow here Wednesday. Yes, I got to come home from work early. It was pretty fun.

Jeff P. is Wisco Disco

BB said...

20 inches of snow... that's awful, JP. I have entire days HERE when I just never get warm, and I don't think I've seen a total of 20 inches of snow in my life.

Good names there! I actually kinda like "Lesion."

And I think I accidentally deleted my sister's comment. Oops. Sorry!