Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Fly

Please enjoy "Country" by Keith Jarrett.



***

I have this recurring dream.

I fly.

It comes naturally, or at least it feels that way.

I need a good, stiff breeze. I spread my arms, and I've got lift.

When I'm a few feet up, it's exhilarating and terrifying, but the control comes. I'm mostly gliding, eyes forward, wind in my hair.

It's exactly the feeling of freedom you'd imagine. And as the control comes, I go higher, higher.

It's real. I really can fly! I think to myself.

***

I wake up, and the disappointment is briefly devastating.

***

I haven't had one of those dreams in a while.

***

I like the feel of the rain on my face.

I like the fantastic spring colors.

I like to step into the warm sunshine after I've been freezing indoors all day.

I like to close my eyes and listen.

I like to sing, to hum.

I like the rhythm of a run, legs moving, breath working, arms in motion.

I like to watch my kids greet each other with a hug after a day apart.

I like uncommon beauty, the kind without vanity.

And I like innocence, and its wide-eyed acceptance. It comes with a certain susceptibility, but it's worth it.

***

Every drop of rain sings about the clouds.

1 comment:

BB said...

From Nadine (via email):

I also have flying dreams from time to time, but it didn't come naturally. I practiced a lot in the dreams, and it started with a very awkward flapping of my arms and running as fast as possible and falling down a lot. Somehow, each dream was a continuation of the last one, and I remembered what I'd learned from the previous flying dreams. I'm pretty good at it now.

And last night I had a dream that I went jogging with Barack Obama in Jakarta, followed by a brunch of French toast. I think we talked about the economy.