Monday, June 02, 2008

So... just a pinch of random whatever for you.

I'm not up to a big, heavy post right now.

So... just a pinch of random whatever for you.

***

I dreamed that alien invaders were here, taking over the planet. They were moving by land in massive numbers, and we humans were terrified. We didn't know much, except that they were spreading all over the place.

Bunches of us were hiding out, tracking their movements and planning evasive maneuvers of our own.

We ran. We cut northeast as they came southwest towards us. We could hear them, see their path of destruction. We were separated from our loved ones and on the run.

My luck ran out.

I encountered one. It was about 4 feet tall, and looked like... Mike Wazowsky, from Monsters, Inc.

Granted, he had really menacing fangs, and he made an awful growl as he charged me.

If I'm going down, I'm not going down without a fight, I thought to myself.

I took out my trusty pocket knife, jabbed him in the side, and---


psssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh...

The air leaked out of him and he flattened like a balloon.

I stood there and stared at his carcass.

Jeez, these guys aren't so tough after all.

***

You read it here first.

***

Busy, busy weekend. Saturday morning Wolfboy went to the greatest birthday party EVER. That is, it was at the Chisholm Aquatics Center.. It cost $1 to get in for us Hurstites.

(Hurstitians? Hurstahoans? Hurstonians?)

He strapped on his life vest and waded into that pool like he owned the place, paying no attention to the words I was directing at the back of his head.

I looked around, wondering if my boy, who can't yet swim, was safe there.

Let me tell you, that place was LOADED with lifeguards. As he waded it, I counted four within 30 feet of him in any direction. And they were not messing around. They were watching those kids diligently. I eased back to the grownup pavilion, had a Coke, and took it easy. We are going to LIVE at this place over the summer, man.

***

Scene from earlier that day:

I'd put on one of those combination swimsuit/flotation devices on Wolfboy. It had a Spiderman logo on it, but looked just a little small.

He put it on, and yeeeeeeeeah, it was a little small. It gave the poor guy a wedgie, as well as, uh, "boy" discomfort.

I thought I'd tug the legs down, maybe see if that'd suffice. I tugged one leg, and he tilted his head back and uttered the most relieved "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" you've ever heard. It just killed me! I was dying with laughter. I tugged the other leg, and he did it again. Okay okay, too small.

***

THEGIRL had her dance recital in Denton Saturday. We had no idea what to expect. The place was full of tiny dancers in their costumes.

As the show opened, it was clear that the dancers fell into a few different categories:

The gamers, who go through the steps despite the strange place, the fans, all that.
The zone-outs, who just stand there and do nothing.
The hams, who do some of the dance, and also may run around some, or go to the edge of the stage to blow kisses and take bows several times in the middle of the song.
The terrified, who cry, scream, and generally go on like they'll be discussing this in therapy in 30 years (and me with no cards on me...)

We wondered which type THEGIRL would be.

Her number came up, the music started, and... she was a gamer! She did all the steps, enjoyed herself, showed no fear, and took appropriate bows at the END of the song.

She did it the same way in her next two songs too. It was absolutely adorable!

We shot video, of course.

***

The video was a challenge, as my up-close vision isn't great, so I couldn't ever be certain by looking at the camera that the kid I was taping was actually my own. I mostly taped the right one.

***

So I got glasses. I can sort of see now. And I feel like my head is in a fishbowl.

***

I've been working out again. I ran a couple miles the other night, and had a good workout yesterday. I did five 3-minute rounds of bagwork, with 90 pushups and 30 situps thrown in.

***

And that's the update from Briscoe Central.

No comments: