Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Wrapup

Did you know that the U2 song "Pride (In the Name of Love)" contains a historical inaccuracy? The lyric is, "Early morning, April 4... shot rings out in the Memphis sky" (as we all know).

But Dr. King was assassinated in the evening. That was about four months before I was born.

***

I try to stay out of political discussions. I have my own opinions, but I don't enjoy the sort of heated debate that comes with politics.

I'm going to throw this out there, considering the importance of this particular time.

I voted for Obama.

I respect the office of the president. When Clinton was in office, I was appalled at the name-calling.

I happen to think that George W. Bush was an absolutely terrible president. I won't stoop to calling him names, or joining the "chuck a shoe at the president" group (or whatever that little online group is called).

He may have done us one of our greatest favors though. I mean this with all seriousness.

He set the bar so unbelievably low that there simply was no way another conservative was going to be elected. He made possible the election of an African-American president. Mr. Bush fumbled so badly that even this nation so prejudiced managed to elect a Black man.

I like Obama. I think he's smart and charismatic. I hope he's not one who is big on ideas and talk without delivering though.

I am cautiously optimistic.

***

So yeah, I've hauled my antiquated fanny back to Krav. Well, to a different Krav school. I am just starting over, effectively, and that's fine. I trained so infrequently in the last year that I need to do this. On some stuff I get by just fine, and on other stuff the rust shows.

I work out in these great KM BDU pants that Whit got me. They're sturdy, roomy, and they look good. Oh, and they're comfortable.

But I learned that all the physical activity loosens them up just a bit in the waist. I hit the Army/Navy store to get a little cloth belt for them.

On a rack in the back were some boys' pants. Lo and behold, I found a pair of olive drab BDUs in Wolfboy's size. They're identical in construction to my KM pants. They're even the same brand. They FIT him nicely, and they were only $4.99.

Score one for BB.

***

We did a lot of cleaning today. I moved the surround speakers like I've wanted to for so long. They'd been positioned right behind the couch since the days when we had a woefully underpowered amplifier. Once we upgraded, though, they needed to be positioned properly.

You know, they sound a lot better than I expected in the new positions. I came home from KM and MOBB was watching some Spanish-language movie, and running the sound through the stereo because she liked it.

***

And now a nice Spock's Beard song for you.

Have a great week.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I voted for Obama as well. And while I'm mostly still glad I did, I'm a little disappointed in some of his choices for his cabinet (so much for getting away from the old DC way of doing things) and even more so in the choice of the anti-gay Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inauguration. (I know Warren won't say anything at this event, but it still sends a message.) I hope this isn't a taste of things to come.