Saturday, January 31, 2009

25 More Random Things About BB

(Because admit it: You can never get enough BB)

1. If I started a band today, I'd name it "Diabolical."

2. Whit's mother, Mary, will always be "Mother Mary" in "Let It Be" to me.

3. I saw a brutal fist fight at a Rush concert once. The first punch went right past my face.

4. I think Myspace is really boring in comparison to Facebook.

5. I like bananas just a bit on the brown and spotty side.

6. I used to have a million concert shirts, but not anymore. Now I just have a Mance Lipscomb/Navasota Blues Fest shirt. MOBB's old Replacements/All Shook Down shirt is in my closet too.

7. Someday I'd like to have some custom cowboy boots made.

8. My right leg is a bit shorter than my left. I wear a shoe insert to correct this, but I'm starting to wonder why it matters.

9. I didn't touch a guitar for two years after my daughter was born.

10. One time while working at a recording studio, I walked in on an engineer and a client in the middle of a "side project." She screamed when she saw me. I just said, "Good night!" and left. No one ever said a thing about it to me.

11. In November of 1990, I watched an orange fireball blaze across the Austin sky.

12. I have seen a UFO, God help me.

13. If I could make a detailed list of reasons I'd never commit suicide, I promise you that somewhere on that list would be "because I want to be around to hear new music."

14. One time I thought Gary Busey was going to take a swing at me.

15. The first CD I ever bought was Led Zeppelin IV. I wanted Rush's Moving Pictures, but Wal Mart didn't have it.

16. My first concert, technically, was Kenny Rogers. He played at a rodeo I attended as a kid.

17. I was at a solo Britt Daniel (Spoon) show one night when someone yelled something like "you suck!" He rushed out into the crowd, wanting to fight whoever had said it. We all just laughed. He DID suck.

18. I once worked security for Jesus Jones.

19. Lou Ann Barton gave me the "heeeeeeey!" sultry greeting in a video store one morning. It made me need a really hot shower. Blech.

20. Some hands I've shaken: Jackie Chan, Willie Nelson, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins. Chan only offered me his left.

21. My kids must have a couple hundred movies. Maybe more. Therefore, I don't feel bad about secretly throwing away "The Teddy Ruxpin Movie." It was just about the worst thing I've ever seen, and folks, I'm a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan.

22. I think that when playing a solo, any note on the neck is potentially useful in any key.

23. A big piece of my heart is in New Orleans.

24. On the one hand, I don't much care for it when metal players do finger tapping stuff. One the other hand (are you snickering by now?), Stanley Jordan is absolutely incredible.

25. Jackie Chan's security kicked me out of the store where I met him for trying to snap a photo of him.

2 comments:

Michael said...

**17. I was at a solo Britt Daniel (Spoon) show one night when someone yelled something like "you suck!" He rushed out into the crowd, wanting to fight whoever had said it. We all just laughed. He DID suck.**

I remember this well. He was opening for a sold-out Hammel on Trial show (maybe Hamell's farewell Austin concert?). Fortunately Britt's both mellowed out and improved over the years.

Michael said...

That would be "Hamell," not "Hammel."