Thursday, March 29, 2007

Spilling

That's what the applications in my van were doing, right out the side door and into the rain this afternoon as I picked THEBOY up from school. And he laughed! I mean, he cackled like watching me scramble to pick those things up was rib-tickling funny!

I'd had a big work event yesterday, so I've got a lot of my work junk, including applications, in the van.

*

That's what the fruit snacks did a week ago at the Smoothie King when THEBOY and I stopped in before his MMA class. There's a poorly placed rack by the register, and when he bumped the snacks they went everywhere. The cashier told us not to bother with picking them up, as they get spilled all the time.

*

That's what the fruit snacks did tonight as we waited at the Smoothie King, again. Only it was a man ahead of us in line who knocked them over. Again, the cashier told him not to bother picking them up.

And THEBOY crouched down on his own and picked them up, carefully placing them all back in the cardboard holder. The man thanked him, and I told him good job.

THEBOY's drink was ready. He reached for the straw and BOOM, knocked the snacks back over. We all laughed.

We left them there.

***

OK, you've gotta read this article in Blender on REM. It's 33 things you ought to know (or don't know or something) about the band. My favorite:

27 R.E.M. HAVE HAD SOME “SPECIAL” FANS.
“I had one girl show up on my front porch,” Mills recalls. “My girlfriend answered the door, and she came back and said, ‘There’s this really pretty girl on the porch that I don’t know.’ I’m like, ‘Oh, jeez, who could that be?’ I go out there, and this girl says, ‘I understand it all now. The music and the numbers on the records: I understand it now.’ And I said, ‘You want the singer’s house. He’s around the corner.’


Thanks to MOBB for the tip.

***

Martial arts updates:

I'm missing Krav all week. Between the cold I've had, class, this Saturday's closure due to the instructors' continuing ed, and my newly re-tweaked back, it seems like the Butt-Kicking Gods simply wanted me to take a week off. Might be the only one I've taken in a year, so I can live with that.

MOBB will return, she will. I just know it. She still deals with the inner ear problems, though she's pushed herself physically at work this week, which we both think is a good sign.

THEBOY continues his MMA class, going twice a week and enjoying it.

THEGIRL can still take us all.

We lost a student to Kung Fu.

One of Whit's good Kung Fu buddies now plans to get serious about Krav as well.

Whit is in Pharr on Kung Fu-related business (how cool does that sound?)

Tim Sylvia is still not UFC the heavyweight champion.

That is all.

***

So the aforementioned cashier at the aforementioned Smoothie King told me today that he trains in martial arts. I guess he heard THEBOY and me saying something about it.

Here's how our exchange went:

ME: "Oh, what do you train in?"

HIM: "Ninjutsu."

ME (trying desperately to remain serious): "Oh. So... where does one do that? I mean, it's not like there's a ninja school in a strip mall behind a 7-11."

HIM: "I can't tell you. It's a secret."

So if I understand correctly, the 16-year-old clerk at the Smoothie King who doesn't yet need a razor and weighs about 98 pounds soaking wet has somehow been granted access or even invited to a secret ninja school.

This kid's life is going to change so damn drastically if he ever gets laid.

***

Friday's a-comin'. Ya'll hang in there.

Turffalo!

No comments: