Saturday, March 31, 2007

After the Leak

Cautiously optimistic after putting down the tarp.


***

I got lucky in a few ways last night, despite it all.

A year or more ago I'd tried to hang something in THEBOY's room. My studfinder was acting screwy, and I ended up with 10-12 tiny nail-sized holes in the sheetrock. That happens to be exactly where the roof leaked. Instead of having the water pool in the sheetrock and cause some real damage, it came through those holes mostly.

I was also lucky to have a 10'x25' tarp handy. It was just long enough to go over the peak of the roof (which would keep water from getting UNDER it and continuing to leak) and cover the bad stretch.

I had landscaping rocks handy which would hold down the tarp.

***

I actually slept okay in there. I believe I woke up and checked the ceiling twice. The fatigue was just too much for me to toss and turn.

THEBOY got up earlier than anyone wanted. I told him that ONLY because I was tired and had a sore back that he should go pour himself some OJ and get some Pop Tarts.

***

So the repair guys came. I've long had fears about this roof, and it's 14 years old, and I can see its imperfections. But the guys said the roof itself is fine in general. They fixed the rotten part in fairly short order for about $500. Boom, done. I was a relief, all things considered.

***

Yeah, my back's pretty bad today from putting it through all that last night.

I saw my chiropractor, the great Randy Wonderlich, and he helped me out.

***

One of the great things about being bilingual is understanding what the contractor's hired help says before he tells you. After one checked out the damage in the attic, he told the other, "Facil--treinta minutos." Translation: "Easy--thirty minutes."

I knew it couldn't be that bad at that point.

***

Gotta jet. Be good.

No comments: