Saturday, March 17, 2007

A St. Patrick's Day Roundup

Allergies have hit our household. Mostly it's THEBOY who's suffering, with puffy red eyes and sniffles. He can really get to be quite a shocking sight with that stuff, even to the point where the daycare called me yesterday.

***

Oh, happy St. Patrick's Day. In honor of this occasion we're watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Darby and King Brian are drinking some "poteen" found in the bog, gettin' hammered, singing. I've just had to explain to THEBOY exactly why they're acting so strange.

***

This is actually the first time I've been home for St. Patrick's Day in years. Usually I'm in Phoenix with Hood at this time. Gotta tell you that it was cool/strange sight to watch Greg Maddux in a Cubs uniform that was, in fact, green in honor of this very day.

***

Got up and had a Krav class this morning.

You know, all those years ago when Whit's Kung Fu training began at the Lake Jackson rec center, I tagged along once. Or twice, not sure. I had some interest in it I suppose. I don't know whether I ever seriously considered joining.

But I saw amazing things that evening. I believe it was Whit's Sifu mostly who did these great kicks, going airborne in ways I didn't know were possible.

And there in the class was a middle-aged guy. He was kind of big, like 6'2" maybe, a pinch over 200 for sure. And he had very little grace, and was slow and clumsy. He tried hard, but everything he did seemed to be a full step behind everyone else.

I remember watching him and thinking about how he was a hopeless case, how he'd never be as good as the others.

That's how I felt today in Krav.

Oh, I'm bellyaching, I know. The lingering effects of the benadryl dulled my senses a bit, left me lagging here and there. I wasn't as aggressive as usual.

This sore back of mine didn't help. It's not the Krav that hurts it--it's our mattress. Can't wait until we get a chance to get a new one someday soon.

***

And, and here's Sean Connery singing. Singing! And what's the lady's name in this? Janet something... Munro? What a cutey.

***

Yeah, that is indeed her name. Have a look.

***

MOBB is napping.

I wish I could but cannot, as THEBOY is up, and he never naps. And THEGIRL is in her bed, also busily not napping.

***

Gotta go. It's almost time for the banshee!

No comments: