Monday, March 05, 2007

This Was the Night

When I heard loud, angry voices as I walked into school.

You see, my school isn't exactly in a neighborhood you'd call safe, so sometimes crazy stuff happens.

So yeah, right there across the street from my particular building are some homes, and from within one of them I heard a loud female voice.

I went into the lobby to eat my supper, but could see through the window that something ugly was happening. A black woman kept storming out of the house. She's turn around and be furious to find the door locked behind her. She'd pound on it, gesture wildly at whoever was inside, and leave again. She must have done that half a dozen times.

Finally she brought a phone out onto the porch and made a few angry phone calls. (It was very considerate of the person inside to, you know, not disconnect the phone and all). I figured she was calling cops, but none ever showed.

Eventually her partner materialized. He was a big guy in denim overalls, really an imposing figure. And as much as she yelled and gestured at him, even raising a hand to him at least once, he remained calm.

Two or three students witnessed this, which took maybe 20 minutes. The only intelligible thing she said to him was, "You were in PRISON!"

Finally he reached a hand out to her, gently, and she took it, They embraced, then got in the car and left together.

*

When I knocked the heavy bag down while working out.

Ah crap, it's not really anything to brag about. I went out there for about 20 minutes of good cardio work, just to maintain what I can before Saturday's belt test. I was in good form (for a guy with no opponent, heh heh). I worked on punch mechanics, knees, elbows, kicks, and mixed in plenty of pushups, squats and shadowboxing.

Suddenly--BOOM, down it came. Crap crap crap. It WAS in a stud, but I really got it moving tonight, so I guess the threads simply weren't sufficient. Gotta do a better job when I re-mount it.

*

When I discovered, while doing situps on the garage floor, that the roof leaks. Shit. We've pushed our luck too long with this roof, which must be 13-14 years old now. It's not a bad place to have a leak, but we need to get that rectified. Shit.

***
***

THEBOY begins his MMA class a week from tomorrow.

***

I finally feel better. My days of achey stomach nonsense gave way to a persistent headache this afternoon. The back of my skull and neck hurt, so I gave myself a massage.

(Go ahead, make a "you'll go blind joke.")

And whaddya know, the pain went away!

***

Ya'll have a good one.

No comments: