Sunday, March 25, 2007

Turffalo!

THEBOY is home, after a whirlwind trip to Sea World in San Antonio with Miss Heather and her son. They saw killer whales, sharks, stingrays, sea lions and more. They also had to deal with THEBOY's acute allergy problems, which manifested this time in the form of extremely puffy eyes.

Really... picture puffy, then keep going. Keep going. And going. Yeah... he looked like Rocky in the first movie.

But I'm told the boys got along well. It was a big step for me to let my little guy go and do that. I'm glad it was with Heather, who is a great Mom.

***

The reunion between THEBOY and still-awake-after-10pm-THEGIRL was very sweet, as she said, "[THEBOY], you're home! I get to see you!" They embraced and said good night. He kissed her on the elbow.

***

I know he cried at least once during the trip, when his friend slipped out of bed to sleep with Heather. Typical six-year-old stuff, but THEBOY didn'ty appreciate being alone and got upset.

"I just want a girl to sleep with me," he told me.

"Like your mother?" I asked.

"Any girl."

That's my boy.

***

THEGIRL had a fine weekend without him. I've gotta say that I think she enjoyed having our full attention for once. You should have seen her today as she ran errands with me dressed in her Snow White outfit. She made friends everywhere she went.

She's asleep (finally) in it right now.

***

I wish I'd felt better this weekend. I'd have taken her to the park to play perhaps. But what started as my own allergy flare-up yesterday morning seems to have progressed into a full-blown upper respiratory infection or something. My lungs are sore and are full of slime. The coughing's no fun. Crap. This is an important week at work, and I need to BE there.

***

We got new STUFF this weekend too, starting with our long-overdue new mattress. It's a Simmons something-or-another with a pillow top. Thus far I'm very pleased with it. I slept well on it last night, and woke up with no aches and pains. The other one had started to hurt me quite a lot.

***

Got new cellphones too, complete with those Borg--er, Bluetooth earpieces. Now I too get to be one of those schmucks wandering around with that thing in my ear. But it's handy, really handy. I've never, ever liked holding a phone to my ear. I've gone with headset options as much as possible for many years.

***

And speaking of the word "schmuck," (how's that for a segue?), the reason I'm looking for the Hebrew spelling of my name is to put on my Krav yellow belt certificate.

It's half English, half Hebrew, but on the Hebrew side the name isn't filled in. If I can do it I will.

***

Turffalo!

I love that word. It's the grass that's going to save my lawn this summer. It's one of those engineered things, a Texas Tech creation. Highly drought tolerant, lush, sun-tolerant... I've got places in my yard that just bake in the summer. My St. Augustine does okay in the shade, okay, but those stretches by the driveway that get late afternoon sun are just dead zones. I will, WILL make an effort to make them look better this year.

***

Turffalo!

Yeah, so I read up on this grass, in fact, and went into the bedroom to tell MOBB how excited I was about this new grass.

(Yes, I lead a simple life).

She was watching The Prestige, and was rewinding some scene with a shirtless Hugh Jackman in it (wait, is that phrase redundant?). I decided it was best not to interrupt her oglin' with tales of my newfound turfgrass plans.

***

GEoff may be moving back here presently... good!

***

Boogie on.

No comments: