Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Study, BB!

I’ll do it, I will. I’ll study.

But this compulsion calls me. Hey, I’ve studied six of the eight chapters. I’ve been good.

***

The major components of BB’s eclectic therapy (aka the current playlist):

“Hurt” by Nine Inch Nails
“Don’t Follow” by Alice in Chains
“Let’s Get Lost” by Chet Baker
“Poison Girl” by Chris Whitley
“Tomorrow, Wendy” by Concrete Blonde
“Baby, There’s No One Like You” by Double Trouble w/Dr. John
“Days of Future Past” by Dozer
“Midnight Rider” by Greg Allman
“Sara Smile” by Hall and Oates (you know, this really is a gorgeous little soul number)
“Ten Years Gone (Live)” by Jimmy Page & the Black Crowes
“I’d Rather Go Blind” by Marcia Ball. I’m not convinced the definitive version of this heartbreaker has been recorded yet.
“Biko” by Peter Gabriel
“Lazarus” by Porcupine Tree
“Louisiana” by Randy Newman
“Titanic (When That Great Ship Went Down)” by Rory Block
“Nothing Compares to You” by Sinead O’Connor
“Day Dream” by Smashing Pumpkins
“Sweet Life” by Varnaline

***

Had a session tonight, and it went well enough. I didn’t quite walk out of there with the same “I’m the man” feeling I had a few days ago, but I was generally pleased, and I believe the client was too.

***

But afterwards I was already worn down, tired. I hit the Starbucks for some iced coffee and suddenly felt great. I could have gone on a nice run, but had to spend my bloody time studying.

***

My daytimer is filling up with clients. I’m getting to be a busy boy. And they often come to me, not the other way around. I’m starting to think I won’t have much trouble getting my hours.

***

I recommended Sherman Alexie’s Flight to someone at work some weeks ago. I walked into her office yesterday and she was reading it.

That’s so pleasing. I need to repay the favor and read The Kite Runner, as recommended by her and several other folks I know. Not sure when I’ll squeeze it in. I’m currently reading books on group therapy, child therapy, Solution-Focused Brief Therapy, and Narrative Therapy, not to mention the textbook for my theories class.

***

MOBB got her hair done, and it looks very nice. Heather’s a real artist.

***

Spanish and me… it’s a real challenge to do therapy in my second language, but I’m making it. My clients come back, and that’s a good sign.

I got off the phone with another new one tonight, and again thought, Hot dog, another client whose Spanish is clear and easy to understand. Lots of those lately.

Then I realized that maybe that’s not it at all. Maybe I’m getting better at this.

***

Now watch me get a Dominican or a Puerto Rican client. Those folks are mighty difficult to understand. Would you like to buy a consonant?

***

An idea I stole from Georgina, I think.

I’ve got some old journals and such. One’s a weekly planner from 1984 that I used to just scribble down what I’d done most every day. I also had an orange spiral notebook for longer entries.

So, from this date in 1984:

“Still exchanging notes. Randy got pissed at Rebeckah. Practiced Taoism in history—a trip! Thought Mom was missing but she was at Papa Stewart’s.”

Not sure with whom I was exchanging notes, and I don’t remember Rebeckah at all. Maybe she was someone Randy was chasing.

The thing about this little journal is that it’s full of code words. I sometimes didn’t want to write anything incriminating, so I’d put these little codes in there. I don’t remember what most of them mean though. My October 6 entry, for example, has “SWAN” written next to it. Probably means we drank beer or something.

I should hit the sheets. Sweet dreams. The swan swims at midnight. The gopher’s in the pudding.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm throwing my voice into the chorus of recommendations for The Kite Runner. Put that at the top of your list when your semester's over.

Anonymous said...

i think this particular cram session has made you particularly loopy. good luck on the exam.

Anonymous said...

Two blind squirrels running with crete paper. The rooster crows at midnight.

Sorry, just recalling some code language there.

Jeff P.

Anonymous said...

"November 19, 1984: Damn, but that Bruiser Boone is one bitchin' guy! He just loaned me his new Jason and the Scorchers cassette (not my cup o' tea, but I'll give it a few more spins). I betcha he even introduces me to my future wife..."

Bruiser

BB said...

Smiling... Gotta wonder if your name's in there anywhere. I remember that Jason and the Scorchers tape, actually.