Monday, October 01, 2007

This Is It

This is what I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm seeing clients now, and that's the result of a process I began in 2004 after a bewildered, newly-sober coworker confided in me at work.

I thought, I need to help these guys.

I realized that with some education and training, I might be able to do so.

We're trained to be generalists, and though I still want to help addicts, this early experience dealing with whatever problem walks through the door is, at times, enthralling.

I saw back to back clients tonight, and I was good. I established a rapport with the clients, got a solid handle on their issues, showed empathy, restated and reframed, and worked collaboratively to establish some reasonable, meaningful goals. I worked within my model too.

I was elated on the way home. Deliriously happy even.

I may have a reality check facing me next week, sure, but I felt like THE MAN tonight.

I have waited a long, long time to feel like I'm fulfilling my purpose. It's mighty satisfying to begin to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Amigo!