Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What the Camera Doesn't Catch... and What It Does

A sky full of red-tailed hawks, circling over Arlington a few weeks ago. It was a stunning sight.

***

The kids after their showers one recent night.

***

Mid or late 80s sometime, driving home late in my foggy hometown of Angleton. Might have been midnight or much later. A train track divides the town, and until the overpass was built we commuters were at the mercy of whatever train happened to be on the track at any given time. More than once a train managed to stop and block every crossing in town.

And I was the first in line that night, though the fog was so dense that I couldn’t even see the train, which was a mere 20 feet, maybe, from my front bumper.

But the headlights from the cars waiting to cross from the other side of the tracks created a great silhouette there as I waited. It was ghostly, otherworldly. I remember it quite vividly.

***
THEGIRL one morning at breakfast.

***

I'm watching the ALCS here. The crowd in Cleveland is going nuts. Still, my heart's with Boston, whom I generally consider to be my second favorite team. I'd love to see them win another world series.

***

These wasabi-covered peas are downright addicting. I've eaten about half the can tonight.

***

Again, thanks to you folks who contributed to post 1000. I've enjoyed having a break of a few days. Every time I think my posts are going to become less frequent it somehow doesn't seem to happen, but I've gotta say that I do foresee some times when this site goes into dry dock for a few days, or even a week. I'm a busy guy, and I need to do things like study and see clients, you know?

***
Taken not far from my house. So... who's hungry?

***

Something I'm quite proud of happened to me recently: I was recognized by my agency for some work I'd done. My department is rather small, but I am encouraged to work/think outside of the specifics of my usual responsibilities when there is a need. A situation came up a few months ago that put me in a position to lend some assistance to some folks. I will never forget this family, and I must admit I was a little shaken up when all was said and done. But I was glad to do what I could. I wouldn't have it otherwise.

So it was quite an honor to hear my supervisor tell my coworkers about this at a recent all staff meeting last week. I'm still getting congratulated for it almost every day.

As she spoke and I stood there, telling myself to be still, the counseling department's admin gave me a big smile and two thumbs up from the back of the room. I'm smiling just thinking about it.

***

MOBB has a new job! So far it's going well.

***

And I would not have had the opportunity to try to help this family if I weren't in an environment that has allowed me to thrive, to learn things about myself and develop some new strengths.

At one TV station some years ago, I interviewed for a position that required that I cover the receptionist's lunch break here and there. I told them I wasn't interested, and that it was a deal breaker. I had no interest in interacting with the public in any way. I felt too shy, just unable to muster what it took.

I didn't get the job.

Now I speak in public regularly, and with just about zero anxiety. Heck, I cover the agency receptionist's lunch break once a week, and I don't mind it much. I credit this position at this agency for much of that. There are other significant factors as well, of course.

One life, folks. I guess I just decided to stop handcuffing myself at some point. Let's see where my brain can take me, see what I can achieve academically. Let's see what life is like when doing work that is meaningful. I ached to do something like this when I was in television; leaving that industry was the best decision I ever made.

How fit can I get? How optimistic can I be? How honest? How much love can I express to those who are important to me?

I'm having a hell of a great time finding out. Most guys reach my age and flip out and just want motorcycles or fast cars. I like this path, personally. My life isn't going to pass me by.

***

Enough of my wide-eyed prattle. Take care.

2 comments:

amcnew said...

Your supervisor was being completely honest. Congratulations! You earned it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe being a little older has diminished your distaste for working with the public. And, I have found that being a parent has made other tasks that used to be daunting seem easy.

When I returned to do fill-in work after having the boy, my boss could not believe how comparitively easygoing I had become. I told him (politely) that dealing with rude people or minor screw-ups was nothing compared to what I had just been through in St. Luke's and Texas Children's Hospitals.


And again, congrats on the award. It is good to see you in such a good place, work-wise.
A.